• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Condensation pipe on HVAC in attic broke... Can I epoxy it?

alnen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
230   0
Reaction score
The break occurred right at the unit in my attic. I found it because the drip pan was full of water etch triggered the float switch which turned off the ac.

Can I get away with using epoxy here? Worst case is that it would leak and fill the drip pan again, right?

Normally I would just replace the pvc pipe that broke, but the job would be somewhat more involved in this case.

Attachments

• 20170415_160603.jpg
    20170415_160603.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 164
Replace it. Glue, epoxy. or leak seal 9000 (whatever) won't work. 3/4" pvc male adapter, couple of 90deg elbows, maybe a couple of 45deg elbows, a coupling, glue and a joint of pipe and you'll be back in business for $10 bucks.
Unscrew the union from the drip pan take to Home Depot and get what you need. Like above maybe ten bucks with glue. Looks like pvc make sure you get the right glue. Might need hack saw blade also. If you try to epoxy, it will just break again and leak.

the pvc replacement should be easy on a pipe with no pressure on it, with the proper "glue" you'll be back to normal in no time. I woudl not band aid that break

Glues won't last...repair it .
Once you have the pvc parts and glue , it won't take any longer to fix it right than it would to try and glue it, clamp in place for glue to set only to have it leak again.

Back
Top Bottom