• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Condensation pipe on HVAC in attic broke... Can I epoxy it?

The break occurred right at the unit in my attic. I found it because the drip pan was full of water etch triggered the float switch which turned off the ac.

Can I get away with using epoxy here? Worst case is that it would leak and fill the drip pan again, right?

Normally I would just replace the pvc pipe that broke, but the job would be somewhat more involved in this case.
If those pipes in the pic. are in the same immovable position as originally connected it's no wonder it broke (stressed). I suggest you follow the suggestion of going to HD and getting new pipe and fittings and don't try to force a union of connections before finally gluing in place (PVC glue). Just my 0.2c.

The break occurred right at the unit in my attic. I found it because the drip pan was full of water etch triggered the float switch which turned off the ac.

Can I get away with using epoxy here? Worst case is that it would leak and fill the drip pan again, right?

Normally I would just replace the pvc pipe that broke, but the job would be somewhat more involved in this case.
Lowes sells a wrap that hardens like steel, it would work well with what you have.

1493478199743.jpg
1493478309167.jpg
1493478331831.jpg
1493478370942.jpg
1493478394351.jpg
1493478430238.jpg

Under 10 bucks in parts at HD, and 20 min worth your time, do it right the first time so you don't have to go back up and fix.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The 'close' nipple is only 1.38" long, get 2- 90's, 2-couplings, if you use a union(has an o-ring gasket), it can be easily taken apart later. The 's' pipe needs to be periodically cleaned, to remove sediment and scale, or it can become blocked, creating a back-up.

So the galvanized male nipple goes right into the ac unit, then I can attach the union to that?

And this is definitely 3/4" pvc? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom