• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Conflicting Gun Law Information

So let's get busy shall we?

Conflicting info:

What I have read about the gun laws in GA seems to clearly state that you may carry a "Long Gun" with no CCL, but to cary a hand gun you must have one weather it is openly carried or concealed. (So you can carry a AK strapped to your back legally with no license but not a .38 in your pocket.)

What I was told by two cops last night is that as long as the gun is "totally visible" you do not need a license to carry a handgun.

I was told by ANOTHER cop at my work, that the first statement was true but in his 20 years on service, he has never asked to see a license and as long as the individual was not dressed like a gang-banger and was not in the wrong part of town he would not do anything about it even if the individual did not have a CCL.

Personal experiences, info, stories...?
Cops are not attorneys and in no way should they be mistaken as experts on the law.
You need a Georgia Weapons license to openly carry a weapon. Any kind of weapon, gun, sword, halberd, whatever you think you need. You need a Georgia Weapons License to carry any of those weapons concealed.

So let's get busy shall we?

Conflicting info:

What I have read about the gun laws in GA seems to clearly state that you may carry a "Long Gun" with no CCL, but to cary a hand gun you must have one weather it is openly carried or concealed. (So you can carry a AK strapped to your back legally with no license but not a .38 in your pocket.)

What I was told by two cops last night is that as long as the gun is "totally visible" you do not need a license to carry a handgun.

I was told by ANOTHER cop at my work, that the first statement was true but in his 20 years on service, he has never asked to see a license and as long as the individual was not dressed like a gang-banger and was not in the wrong part of town he would not do anything about it even if the individual did not have a CCL.

Personal experiences, info, stories...?

Cops barely know traffic laws let alone 2A laws. lol

Cops legally can't just walk up and ask if you have a permit; however, if someone calls the cops they will. If that cop knows the law, you can be sure you'll wind up in jail and possibly a felon. If you're carrying illegally and get into a self-defense situation, you can bet you're going to jail.

You need a Georgia Weapons license to openly carry a weapon. Any kind of weapon, gun, sword, halberd, whatever you think you need. You need a Georgia Weapons License to carry any of those weapons concealed.

Actually, no.
Georgia no longer uses the common English language definition of "weapon" and has instead substituted a statutory definition which uses the terms "handgun" and "knife" which are themselves also defined in a rather narrow and specific way.

Just out of curiosity and elderly man I know who is 91, has ALWAYS carried a .32 S&W revolver in his pocket, everyday and everywhere. He does not have a GWL, I tried telling him that he needed to get one just in case, his reply was "I have been carrying this same revolver in my pockets since the late 30's and no one is going to stop me now, I don't need a piece of paper saying I can"......On a side note even though he is 91 he can still shoot that little revolver VERY well for someone his age.

How much trouble would an old man like him get in if caught?
If everyone had this mindset the government wouldn't be taking over right now.

Actually, no.
Georgia no longer uses the common English language definition of "weapon" and has instead substituted a statutory definition which uses the terms "handgun" and "knife" which are themselves also defined in a rather narrow and specific way.

Thank you for the clarification.
I'll leave my assegai at home from now on. :)

Just out of curiosity and elderly man I know who is 91, has ALWAYS carried a .32 S&W revolver in his pocket, everyday and everywhere. He does not have a GWL, I tried telling him that he needed to get one just in case, his reply was "I have been carrying this same revolver in my pockets since the late 30's and no one is going to stop me now, I don't need a piece of paper saying I can"......On a side note even though he is 91 he can still shoot that little revolver VERY well for someone his age.

How much trouble would an old man like him get in if caught?

He started carrying when he was 9 years old? That;s impressive. I'm surprised he had pockets big enough, even for a thutty too.

Back
Top Bottom