• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Conflicting Gun Law Information

Just out of curiosity and elderly man I know who is 91, has ALWAYS carried a .32 S&W revolver in his pocket, everyday and everywhere. He does not have a GWL, I tried telling him that he needed to get one just in case, his reply was "I have been carrying this same revolver in my pockets since the late 30's and no one is going to stop me now, I don't need a piece of paper saying I can"......On a side note even though he is 91 he can still shoot that little revolver VERY well for someone his age.

How much trouble would an old man like him get in if caught?

Depends on what happened. If he shot someone unjustified he would have problems. In most cases LEOs would have respect for his age and give him a pass with a warning.

Good info, good questions and good answers. Carrying without a license is like getting a speeding ticket... your first time. But again, cops do not ask unless they suspect you of having broken a law. I guess some just choose to go with the old mans theory. It is our 2nd amendment right, and out of principal, why ask for permission for a right granted to us by the founding Fathers. I personally think it is a good idea to have a CCL when packing JIC you get a green-horn all excited and don't want to be late for work or get in a situation where they ask you to hand over your weapon to run it. Some of us would have a problem with that, I'd rather hand over my license.

IMHO

Any more first hand experiences with this? Just a curiosity more than anything.

Carrying a pistol on your person without a license can be a felony crime, depending on where you're actually going or traveling when you get caught. There are some places (school property) where having a permit will reduce the level of your gun crime from a felony to a misdemeanor. Or --if it's a church -- from an arrestable misdemeanor offense to a ticket-writing offense.

P.S. If you happen to be carrying your handgun, unlicensed, at one of the special locations where it's a felony crime to do so (airport property, school property, federal facilities (VA hospital maybe?) you would not have the right of self-defense anymore!
Not even if you were attacked by violent criminals --you can't argue self-defense when you are committing a felony yourself. Using a weapon is self defense is off the table!

Back
Top Bottom