Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Featured Listings are working again! Feature your listing on every page for $3 a day! Click here for all the info.
    Dismiss Notice

Consequences of Church Carry

Thread in 'Law & Order' started by GAgunLAWbooklet, May 10, 2019.

1. Ken Ford

Ken Ford Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Administrator Supporter

136   0

Rating
    100%
    I think you need to get out more. The reason you are “allowed” to carry in a church at all now was a result of the out cry from churches themselves. I don’t know of many churches that don’t allow, at least by tacit permission, to carry.
    Of the few preachers I know, all allow their members to carry.
    And isn’t there now case law that when a church building is not being used as a “place of worship” it’s just another building, same as Govt building that have been rented/reserved, but being used in a non govt purpose? And the law says “In” not “around” a place of worship.

2. GAgunLAWbooklet

GAgunLAWbooklet The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter Banned Until:
    Dec 18, 2019

Banned Supporter

34   0

Rating
    100%
    5BEA11DE-F956-4118-BCB4-D0794E26C70E.jpeg A90A51DF-A3DC-4E98-9B19-789244AD1B2B.jpeg
    So, the answer is that Perimeter Church is both a school and a church.
    If you don't have a GWL, that means a standard misdemeanor sentence for the church carry (up to 12 months in county jail, and up to $1400 in fines, fees, and surcharges).

REMINDER: Churches do not need to post any signage about guns to ban them! Guns are automatically presumed banned under Georgia law! A church must affirmatively opt-in (either publicly or privately) to allow carry. They HAVE TO take action --silence does not equal permission!

It's a Felony to carry at a school without a GWL. Up to 10 years in state prison.

WITH A GWL (carry permit), the church carry is a $100 fine, charged on a ticket without an arrest. But it is a crime, it is a violation of code section 1611 127, and therefore the sentencing judge is ordered to notify the probate court that you have committed this violation of law so that the probate court can move to revoke your license.

The school weapons law violation is a standard misdemeanor crime for GWL holders. So up to a year in jail and up to $1000 fine plus surcharges and extra fees, bringing it more like $1400 total. A realistic sentence would be more like 12 months probation and something like a $500 fine, no jail, no community service.

But it's still a criminal conviction and it is a violation of a Georgia gun carry law, and therefore it makes you ineligible to keep your GWL. The sentencing judge in the criminal court is commanded to take your license and notify the Probate Court so that your GWL can be formally revoked.

You'll have to complete all of your criminal sentences first, which would take a year, and then have a five-year waiting period of good behavior before you are allowed to apply to get another carry permit again.

BOTTOM LINE, and the MOST IMPORTANT LESSON:
    Watch out for churches that also have private schools on the same property!

3. Kahrnut

Kahrnut The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

141   0

Rating
    100%
    guns are bad...mmmmkay?

300_whisper and quitter. like this.
  4. BanjoJohn

BanjoJohn The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Banned Until:
    Dec 20, 2019

Banned

113   0

Rating
    100%

That's interesting, I've never had any Law Enforcement ever tell me that. I wonder why?

Glock95 likes this.
  5. CQB27

CQB27 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

220   0

Rating
    100%
    Life is so scary!
    I honestly don't know what I would do without treads like this to remind me to be afraid!
    I's a miracle I have gotten away with carrying concealed in churches for 20+ years.......maybe it's only worked because I was in a church where miracles are known to happen from time to time.

6. Ken Ford

Administrator Supporter

136   0

Rating
    100%
    Again, you have to actually go into the church or school to be in violation. You can pick up or drop off your child armed, if you are a GWL holder. Plenty of case law that hasn’t been superseded by legislation to support this.

SafeCracka and Mr. Goodbar like this.
  7. CQB27

CQB27 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

220   0

Rating
    100%
    So a GWL holder can carry a gun into a polling place as long as it's not a school or church? Hmmmmm.

rOmiLaYu likes this.
  8. Ken Ford

Administrator Supporter

136   0

Rating
    100%
    It’s your responsibility to know the law. I’ll bet he hasn’t explained the finer points of other laws to you either...

Try not signing...
    He may not take you to jail, but he can take you and make you post bail if you don’t sign. Only specific exception I know of is a $15 seatbelt violation.

9. Ken Ford

Administrator Supporter

136   0

Rating
    100%
    N
    Not in Georgia, as we are one of seven states forbidding this.

CQB27 likes this.
  10. palmettomoon

palmettomoon NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater Supporter

Supporter

109   0

Rating
    100%
    LOL!

CQB27 likes this.