• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Consequences of Church Carry

In this thread, at the time you write that, there are parts of the correct answer scattered among the wring anwers and nonresponsive replies and general idiocy.
Your don't know what posts have the components of a correct answer, do you ?
Of course not.
You just say "don't go to thst church."
Which is ridiculous, unless you are seriously advocating that you (me, any GWL holder) commit to never going to 99.9% of the churches in Georgia (assuming about 1 out of 1000 has opted-in to allow GWL holders to carry).

And when I say "never go to" those other 999/1000 churches, I mean NEVER.
Not just to worship on a Sunday.

Don't go there to vote, if that's your local polling place each election year.
Don't go there forca 5K run / walk for charity.
Don't meet the bloodmobile there.
Don't meet the health-screening RV to get your blood pressure checked or have a screening of your blood.
Don't go to any of those schools to repair their A/C if you're in the HVAC business.
Don't go there to teach a martial arts class or give a demonstration of your karate skills.
Don't go there just for the Easter egg hunt, the Christmas musical, or to drop off a bag of groceries for the "Can Hunger" campaign in your community.
I think you need to get out more. The reason you are “allowed” to carry in a church at all now was a result of the out cry from churches themselves. I don’t know of many churches that don’t allow, at least by tacit permission, to carry.
Of the few preachers I know, all allow their members to carry.
And isn’t there now case law that when a church building is not being used as a “place of worship” it’s just another building, same as Govt building that have been rented/reserved, but being used in a non govt purpose? And the law says “In” not “around” a place of worship.

5BEA11DE-F956-4118-BCB4-D0794E26C70E.jpeg
A90A51DF-A3DC-4E98-9B19-789244AD1B2B.jpeg

So, the answer is that Perimeter Church is both a school and a church.
If you don't have a GWL, that means a standard misdemeanor sentence for the church carry (up to 12 months in county jail, and up to $1400 in fines, fees, and surcharges).

REMINDER: Churches do not need to post any signage about guns to ban them! Guns are automatically presumed banned under Georgia law! A church must affirmatively opt-in (either publicly or privately) to allow carry. They HAVE TO take action --silence does not equal permission!

It's a Felony to carry at a school without a GWL. Up to 10 years in state prison.

WITH A GWL (carry permit), the church carry is a $100 fine, charged on a ticket without an arrest. But it is a crime, it is a violation of code section 1611 127, and therefore the sentencing judge is ordered to notify the probate court that you have committed this violation of law so that the probate court can move to revoke your license.

The school weapons law violation is a standard misdemeanor crime for GWL holders. So up to a year in jail and up to $1000 fine plus surcharges and extra fees, bringing it more like $1400 total. A realistic sentence would be more like 12 months probation and something like a $500 fine, no jail, no community service.

But it's still a criminal conviction and it is a violation of a Georgia gun carry law, and therefore it makes you ineligible to keep your GWL. The sentencing judge in the criminal court is commanded to take your license and notify the Probate Court so that your GWL can be formally revoked.

You'll have to complete all of your criminal sentences first, which would take a year, and then have a five-year waiting period of good behavior before you are allowed to apply to get another carry permit again.

BOTTOM LINE, and the MOST IMPORTANT LESSON:
Watch out for churches that also have private schools on the same property!

A citation is technically an arrest as well. By signing a citation that acts as your bail. Just keeps everyone’s time from being needlessly taken up.
By paying a fine without contesting the charge you are pleading guilty. If you show up to contest the charge, even if just you and the judge, it’s a trial.

That's interesting, I've never had any Law Enforcement ever tell me that. I wonder why?

Life is so scary!
I honestly don't know what I would do without treads like this to remind me to be afraid!
I's a miracle I have gotten away with carrying concealed in churches for 20+ years.......maybe it's only worked because I was in a church where miracles are known to happen from time to time.

View attachment 2120689 View attachment 2120690
So, the answer is that Perimeter Church is both a school and a church.
If you don't have a GWL, that means a standard misdemeanor sentence for the church carry (up to 12 months in county jail, and up to $1400 in fines, fees, and surcharges).

REMINDER: Churches do not need to post any signage about guns to ban them! Guns are automatically presumed banned under Georgia law! A church must affirmatively opt-in (either publicly or privately) to allow carry. They HAVE TO take action --silence does not equal permission!

It's a Felony to carry at a school without a GWL. Up to 10 years in state prison.

WITH A GWL (carry permit), the church carry is a $100 fine, charged on a ticket without an arrest. But it is a crime, it is a violation of code section 1611 127, and therefore the sentencing judge is ordered to notify the probate court that you have committed this violation of law so that the probate court can move to revoke your license.

The school weapons law violation is a standard misdemeanor crime for GWL holders. So up to a year in jail and up to $1000 fine plus surcharges and extra fees, bringing it more like $1400 total. A realistic sentence would be more like 12 months probation and something like a $500 fine, no jail, no community service.

But it's still a criminal conviction and it is a violation of a Georgia gun carry law, and therefore it makes you ineligible to keep your GWL. The sentencing judge in the criminal court is commanded to take your license and notify the Probate Court so that your GWL can be formally revoked.

You'll have to complete all of your criminal sentences first, which would take a year, and then have a five-year waiting period of good behavior before you are allowed to apply to get another carry permit again.

BOTTOM LINE, and the MOST IMPORTANT LESSON:
Watch out for churches that also have private schools on the same property!
Again, you have to actually go into the church or school to be in violation. You can pick up or drop off your child armed, if you are a GWL holder. Plenty of case law that hasn’t been superseded by legislation to support this.

In this thread, at the time you write that, there are parts of the correct answer scattered among the wring anwers and nonresponsive replies and general idiocy.
Your don't know what posts have the components of a correct answer, do you ?
Of course not.
You just say "don't go to thst church."
Which is ridiculous, unless you are seriously advocating that you (me, any GWL holder) commit to never going to 99.9% of the churches in Georgia (assuming about 1 out of 1000 has opted-in to allow GWL holders to carry).

And when I say "never go to" those other 999/1000 churches, I mean NEVER.
Not just to worship on a Sunday.

Don't go there to vote, if that's your local polling place each election year.
Don't go there forca 5K run / walk for charity.
Don't meet the bloodmobile there.
Don't meet the health-screening RV to get your blood pressure checked or have a screening of your blood.
Don't go to any of those schools to repair their A/C if you're in the HVAC business.
Don't go there to teach a martial arts class or give a demonstration of your karate skills.
Don't go there just for the Easter egg hunt, the Christmas musical, or to drop off a bag of groceries for the "Can Hunger" campaign in your community.

So a GWL holder can carry a gun into a polling place as long as it's not a school or church? Hmmmmm.

That's interesting, I've never had any Law Enforcement ever tell me that. I wonder why?
It’s your responsibility to know the law. I’ll bet he hasn’t explained the finer points of other laws to you either...

Try not signing...
He may not take you to jail, but he can take you and make you post bail if you don’t sign. Only specific exception I know of is a $15 seatbelt violation.

Back
Top Bottom