• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Construction advice needed to turn non AC space into one with AC

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I have a 16 x 16 2 story shed. Bottom half is cinder block and the upper is wood. It is a barn style metal topped roof with 8' peak. There is an attic stair between the two. 24" on center framed. It has two large windows installed in the upper section.

I want to air condition the upper section. I'm trying to find the best way to insulate this?

Anybody turned a non airconditioned space into an airconditioned space?

How temperature controlled do you want it? Just cool it off so you can work in comfort or are you storing family heirlooms there?

Foam is awesome but it's does it's best at openings/seams. You can save some by just having the ends of your spaces foamed and fill the rest with traditional insulation or blown-in. For your floor, just foam where it meets the exterior walls. For your walls, just foam around the windows and at the top/bottom.

How temperature controlled do you want it? Just cool it off so you can work in comfort or are you storing family heirlooms there?

Foam is awesome but it's does it's best at openings/seams. You can save some by just having the ends of your spaces foamed and fill the rest with traditional insulation or blown-in. For your floor, just foam where it meets the exterior walls. For your walls, just foam around the windows and at the top/bottom.

The space needs to be sealed enough to use A/C effectively to cool it.

This was never meant to be an airconditioned space and was vented on the ends and at the ridge. All edges and the ridge have since been fully sealed. The floor between the upper and lower sections is plywood and accessed by a basic pull down attic stair.

What is wrong with batt fiberglass and sheetrock? It is made in 2' batts if you want it.

If installed properly, you will make it all but airtight.

You need the vents at the ridge and the soffit. Without that you will cook your shingles off.

Back
Top Bottom