• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Continuing site connectivity and functionality issues

As most of the "VPNs" out there put you at more risk than not using them, that could be part of your problem.
Im curious as to this comment. I use Nord and am happy with it. Are you referring to "most VPNs out there" as the lower tier, smarmy types? From everything I have read and been told by IT folks that know more than I, quality VPNs like Nord and Express are tops for privacy and security (right now i am connected to ODT through a server in Albania...).

Please ellaborate.

Im curious as to this comment. I use Nord and am happy with it. Are you referring to "most VPNs out there" as the lower tier, smarmy types? From everything I have read and been told by IT folks that know more than I, quality VPNs like Nord and Express are tops for privacy and security (right now i am connected to ODT through a server in Albania...).

Please ellaborate.
Albania? That sounds secure…

Please ellaborate.

Iceland actually. And are you familiar with the tech and privacy laws in Iceland? I'm not. Connecting to any "VPN" that you don't control is opening a can of worms, both legally and security wise.

Don't get me wrong, VPN has its place (I use my personal VPN frequently). But it's not a magic thing. You're just routing your data through someone else's network (do you trust their network and the path it takes). Other things including where your DNS is coming from also factor in. Other factors include who's your email provider (google, comcast, yahoo, microsoft, etc..), do you login to "cloud services" like your browser?

Iceland actually. And are you familiar with the tech and privacy laws in Iceland? I'm not. Connecting to any "VPN" that you don't control is opening a can of worms, both legally and security wise.

Don't get me wrong, VPN has its place (I use my personal VPN frequently). But it's not a magic thing. You're just routing your data through someone else's network (do you trust their network and the path it takes). Other things including where your DNS is coming from also factor in. Other factors include who's your email provider (google, comcast, yahoo, microsoft, etc..), do you login to "cloud services" like your browser?
You are correct - Iceland - someone caught that. I go back and forth with 3 servers depending on speeds. Yes, all a vpn really does is not allow someone to see your address - which for me is enough to pay the $30/yr.

You are correct - Iceland - someone caught that. I go back and forth with 3 servers depending on speeds. Yes, all a vpn really does is not allow someone to see your address - which for me is enough to pay the $30/yr.

If that's what you're after, I suggest using US endpoints instead of foreign ones.

What's the best vpn then? Cost, level of privacy, and what info does the service retain after use?

I won't make a recommendation on one. Last time I dug into a bunch of the big ones, they were all ran by or reselling the same companies or using the same pools of "servers". It was extremely difficult to find actual reviews not tied to a sponsorship of some kind. All of them retain connection data of some kind, they're bound by the laws of wherever the endpoint is.

Back
Top Bottom