• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Contract to buy land

How about eminent domain?

What about it?

Eminent domain can only be used by gov't agencies, or specific entities granted the right (utilities, railroads, piplelines).

In a very theoretical sense, if the gov't or one of these agencies came into possession of a landlocked parcel, it could use eminent domain to obtain an easement. However, even there, there is a legal impediment, in that eminent domain can only be used to condemn land used for the public good.

Yes, there are some considerations that may complicate the title: Tax Sales being one of them.
Title insurance provides for this among other nasty things.

Otherwise a simple Quit-Claim Deed might do the job.

Oh, in most instances, a "landlocked" parcel is normally always granted an easement for access ... this access could run miles through yours and other people's property ... a LONG driveway if you please!

Does such a simple document also take into account mineral rights, etc.?

I'm not a lawyer ... My wife is a RE Broker ... We have seen some mighty complicated things happen to what should be a simple transaction! You would be best served by getting a sales contract on the property that gives you time to do due diligence (that includes your attorney's involvement). That should include your attorney's written statement that the deed will be properly submitted for recording (Yes, we've seen where Deeds were NOT recorded 25 years after the fact!). Interview a couple / few RE attorneys and get a quotation for doing this along with Title Insurance. Don't anguish over this any more until you do THIS!

Now, if you are a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of guy, you can get a Quit Claim Form, fill it out however you like (mineral rights, solar rights, surfing rights, existing wildlife rights, freedom of religion, breeding Rights, etc.) Get it executed / witnessed, and go file it yourself. You may find (years later) that a long-lost relative of the now-deceased seller, who was just released from the nut-house, has filed against you and any improvements on the property. You may ultimately win, but the legal costs could then be substantial ... Forget the notion that you could sell the property and 'slide" out of the liability ...

You are caught in the old: "Pay me now, or pay me a ton more later"

CYA, Get a RE Attorney!

As they say here on ODT: GLWS!

Back
Top Bottom