• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Conversation with a turkey.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Had one yesterday in a tree thirty yards from me gobbling every time I clucked.
This went on for a half hour before he finally flew down from the tree.
I waited and listened and did not see or hear him at all.
I was thinking it was gonna come sneak up behind me but it just vanished on me and no more response to my calls.

Wondering if it saw me from the tree but couldn't resist replying to the calls.

I think you may have called to him too much on the roost. I usually only let them know I'm there then shut up. Drives them crazy. Every situation is different though. No telling what really happened. Good luck next time.

30 yds he's in range,you may have setup to close,as stated above overcalling will get you nothing,it's very hard to go silent when he's answering.i have threw my mouthcall out of reach to make myself shut up.

I got setup way too tight on one a few years ago. I misjudged when moving in on him. I was so close I could see his spurs while he was up in the tree. I should have given him a few soft clucks and then shut up. Instead, I overcalled. He stayed up on the roost and gobbled his head off while intently looking for me until well after daylight. He then flew down and out of my life forever. Lesson learned the hard way.

Glad your at least getting on some turkeys its been a tough year for me> They are scarce up here in Northeast Ga Mtns I have called up 3 toms this season and one hen killed one Tom Passed on jake had another Tom that wouldn,t make those final 15 yards for a shot.Went back day or so later never heard him again think somebody else got him. Turkey numbers in this area the lowest i have evry saw but sign alot hogs which are a bad nest predatory& coyotes& other varmint sign. ( WE HAVE ALL OVER CALLED ON OLE TOM BEFORE IF GET THATCLOSE AGAIN JUST WAIT TILL FLIES DOWN GIVE HIM 3 YELPS AND SCRACTH IN THE LEAVES SOME THAT SHOULD FIX THE PROBLEM)

My buddy the Chief had a gobbler come within 30 feet of him the other day in a small field near the cabin.
I heard the shot and got excited but later when I met up with him he said his gun went "click"- no bang.
He racked another round and did a Hail Mary shot as it ran off....missed.
He was pretty Ticked off but actually neither of us are mad as we Got permission to hunt his buddy's cabin property that borders the national
Forest.
I've never seen so many deer trails in my life.
I've scoped out several incredible funnels, heavy trails with major pathway junctions, secondary buck trails, major rubs and bedding areas.
There's creeks and run off springs, places with heavy trails and shooting lanes, pinch points, etc.
Seen and heard deer every time we've been there for turkey.
I can't wait for archery season.

Mountain turkeys are fickle.
I've killed a dozen or so down in S Ga; but never a mountain bird.

It sucks, because I even speak their language! :)

Back
Top Bottom