• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Conversion Barrels: Lone Wolf vs Storm Lake vs Wheaton Arms

plue41

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
74   0
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a conversion barrel for my Gen4 G23. So far the priciest (Wheaton Arms) claims no gunsmithing required. Is this true for the others? What has been your experience with the conversion?
Thanks guys!

I got a Lone Wolf 40-9 and other then using a G19 mag... it was ready to rock and roll.

Now if I planned on using the 9mm conversion for a dedicated carry... I'd definitely swap out the extractor from a 40 to a 9

But for range use and shooting cheap 9mm, lone wolf and a g19 mag all the way.

I got a Lone Wolf 40-9 and other then using a G19 mag... it was ready to rock and roll.

Now if I planned on using the 9mm conversion for a dedicated carry... I'd definitely swap out the extractor from a 40 to a 9

But for range use and shooting cheap 9mm, lone wolf and a g19 mag all the way.
Does swapping the extractor help with the lone wolf? Read somewhere that the chamber is off center and not to change anything but magazines? I want to get one but haven't yet.

Does swapping the extractor help with the lone wolf? Read somewhere that the chamber is off center and not to change anything but magazines? I want to get one but haven't yet.

Yep read the same thing. I have the lone wolf and it runs just fine with the .40 extractor/slide on the 9mm.

The .40 S&W slide is a tad heavier and the recoil spring for the G17 and G22 were the same weight spring but with factory spec ammo it seems to run fine.

Enough rim rides over the extractor to not be an issue from what I found.

DSC_0017 (2).JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

I'm a little weary of the lone wolf barrels. I bought a 6 inch barrel for a Glock 20 a couple years ago and had issues. It wouldn't always cycle, became very unreliable. I ordered and paid for a custom barrel without the stupid wolf logo and it came with the logo anyway. When I called CS about the issues they told me to send it back with a loaded round of the ammo I wanted to fire in it, well I wanted it to fire all 10mm just like the Glock barrel. Their website said nothing about having to have the barrel customized to a specific round. Also, after the fact I learned the barrels are made in Korea. Not a good experience. Pay more for a US made barrel.

I've had 3 lone wolf 9mm barrels for 3 different .40 cal Glocks and all worked excellent. I have one for my G22 that has probably 2k rounds through it. I've shot lots of different types of ammo through it, and the only hiccup I ever had was one ftf and one stovepipe using Tula steel cases. Would I recommend the lone wolf? Absolutely.

I have a Lone Wolf 40S&W conversion barrel as well as a Lone Wolf 6" 10mm barrel for my Glock G20 and I have over 200 rounds of flawless operation with each barrel. I use the factory G20 mags and extractor. Both barrels were drop in right from the packaging. Action speaks louder than words and experience speaks louder than theory. I also highly recommend Lone Wolf. Your mileage may vary. Thanks.

Sounds like others have had better results than me. Maybe I got a bad one. Using a new mag the lone wolf I had would fire once or twice and jam with hornady, win silver tips, and federal fmj. The spent cartridge would eject but the next round wouldn't feed. LW CS admitted that sometimes the barrel must be customized to the cartridge. They told me that only after I had trouble. I put the OEM barrel back.

Back
Top Bottom