• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Convert S&W Victory .38 SW to .38 Special

Capnmike

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
100   0
Reaction score
I recently picked up a decent S&W Victory in .38 SW caliber. I have read it was not uncommon to drill the cylinder to shoot the longer .38 spl cartridge. I know the SW is .003 larger diameter than the special but this won't be used for competition and there is not much collector value for the Victory.
Is there anyone who (can)/(has) done this to give me an idea of the cost involved? I would appreciate a PM rather than spouting an unqualified opinion under this ad. Thx
Capn
DSCF0088.JPG
DSCF0090.JPG

In for answers. I'm not a collector, but I do like older S&W handguns.
I almost picked up a .38 S&W chambered one a few years ago, and I planned on buying some factory remanufactured ammo (cowboy loads) for it, and then reloading those cases with a Lee loader kit made for .38 special. I don't think it would hurt anything that the cases are shorter than the .38 specials the kit was intended to resize. You can buy the bullets for about 6.5 cents each, mail-order.
http://missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=9

If you want good factory ammo to put in the gun for self-defense, it's available.

Buffalo Bore makes loaded ammo in this caliber with a 125 grain flat-tipped hard cast lead bullet that will reach 950 f.p.s. out of a 4" barrel. That's on par with .38 special +P from most other ammo companies.

Many victories were bored to use 38sp ammo. It is a mediocre mod, at best.

Below average accuracy and heavy leading due to undersized bullets.

38s&w ammo is redly available as are proper reloading components.

Two years ago, on another forum this fellow reported a good experience with a gunsmith reaming his revolver's chambers. For a very affordable price, too:
"Revolver Cylinder Reaming
I just want let you guys know if you are needing your cylinder throats open up a little bit I sent my S&W 657 .41mag to a guy in Denver Co. I told him I wanted them opened up to .411. The total cost was $35.00. with shipping. I tell what guys, he did a perfect job, I checked and rechecked them 3 times and they were spot on. His name is TOM SOKOL, REVOLVER CYLINDER REAMING, 2810 DEXTER ST., DENVER, CO 80207. Ph# 303-618-4329"

Original link to castboolits.com
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?264821-Revolver-Cylinder-Reaming

Many victories were bored to use 38sp ammo. It is a mediocre mod, at best.

Below average accuracy and heavy leading due to undersized bullets.

38s&w ammo is redly available as are proper reloading components.

This.

You seem to have your mind set on spending money to make a less than mediocre .38 spec. It will have terrible accuracy, and very low velocity, which is an accomplishment in a .38 S&W.

The . 38 S&W is a very shootable round, and as mentioned, Buffalo Bullets has some self defense loads if that's the way you want to go. I have a couple or three 38 S&W that I carry around in the woods and fishing sometimes.

The value of your gun is impaired by having much later faux stag grips, rather than period correct grips.

As usual, ODT members to the rescue and thanks for all the tips. Prior to posting my inquiry I surfed and found that accuracy was an issue but I'm not into competition and as a house gun the distance would not be much. Also, I wasn't too concerned about devaluing the pistol since the market was flooded after being returned to the USA after WWII and still do not command much $$. The net provides a diversity of opinions including one story of a guy using a 3/8" drill bit. I didn't graduate from Tech but that sounds a little too easy. I have a Webley in .38SW from the same era so may just tuck the Victory next to it in the safe. Thanks again for the comments.
Capn

I had a Victory that had been modified by a high end UK gun maker after the war, not sure if the conversion had much to do with it, but it was the loosest Smith I've ever come across.

Back
Top Bottom