• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cook To Temperature

3rd Rail

Default rank <750 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
36   0
Reaction score
There are well known cooking temperatures for different meats and different doneness.
My question is how long does it need to remain at that temperature to be adequately done?

That’s kind of a tough one to answer is a single response. Depends on so many variables. The meat, the weight, thickness, method. For example, you’d want to cook a steak differently than you would with something like a roast.

A steak for example, I prefer a good pan sear. That will lock in the juices in and, the flavor of the seasoning you use. Then you’d broil it to the proper temp. However the length of time may very depending on how you like your steak. I like rare/medium rare so, that would be less than someone preferring theirs well done. Again, the time it takes will still be dependent on the like cut, weight, thickness, the method of cooking, etc.

There are well known cooking temperatures for different meats and different doneness.
My question is how long does it need to remain at that temperature to be adequately done?

If it hits it's done. Leaving it longer will most likely just dry it out. Those temps are out there so you dont end up ****ting your pants 3 hours later. Now when you smoke meat you want certain meats to hit a temp for tenderness. I would inject those to keep them moist.

nS...either you, or me, misunderstood his question. I think if his recipe calls for say 145 degrees, he's askin' how long does he need to let it sit, at 145?

That's why I said pull it soon as it hits.
I’m in total agreement. I’m not contradicting in anything written but, just pointing out variables. There are just so many ways of cooking dependant on the outcome you’re looking for.

If he’d said, how long to be sure that you’re temp has killed anything that would prevent you from crapping yourself to death, it would be a different answer.;)

B97275B9-1DC4-4408-BC67-35B2DFD59242.jpeg
Thanks Gents. This was a smoked turkey drumstick from the grocery store. Straight from fridge to grill. Kept the grill on low and after 45 mins still under recommended cooking temp. Bumped it up to 450 degrees for ten mins and it finally hit 170-180. It came out juicy and tender except for skin which was tough as leather.
Question was answered - pull it as soon as it reaches temp.

Back
Top Bottom