• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cook To Temperature

How to cook a steak. You're welcome.

20190602_185248.jpg

Pull it a little early it will continue to rise and get better by resting. Most of those recommended temp setting are a very overrated for stupid restaurant customers...

who have been raised in a diet of overcooked fast food hamburgers, and are used to gumming their chicken nuggets so they think any food with a hint of pink or a little texture is undercooked and tough.

But sound advice on pulling early, usually 10 degrees below target for a roast of any size.

So I’m going to try a butt in an insta pot pressure cooker tomorrow if I can get to Kroger’s before they sell out. 45 mins
Cook time in a bbq sauce. Then pull apart and serve on buns. Anybody try this yet?

nS...either you, or me, misunderstood his question. I think if his recipe calls for say 145 degrees, he's askin' how long does he need to let it sit, at 145?

That's why I said pull it soon as it hits.
If the meat is in a 350 oven for example, it will never stay at a temperature, it will continue to rise towards 350. When a meat hits the “temp” you pull it and let it rest. It has been “cooking” all the way up to that temp.

View attachment 2145223 Thanks Gents. This was a smoked turkey drumstick from the grocery store. Straight from fridge to grill. Kept the grill on low and after 45 mins still under recommended cooking temp. Bumped it up to 450 degrees for ten mins and it finally hit 170-180. It came out juicy and tender except for skin which was tough as leather.
Question was answered - pull it as soon as it reaches temp.

With the tougher leg meat (or a whole bird) you wanna cook at a lower temp for a longer time. Otherwise you wind up with an over cooked exterior. Slow smoking, rather than grilling is the way to go. Next time you do it, try keeping your grill on low the whole time, and plan on cooking it for an hour and a half, or until it hits 155-160 in the thickest area near the bone.

I pull wild or domestic turkey at at 155 or so and let it rest under tin foil for 10-15 minutes. 170-80 is VERY well done for any meat.

Most meat will be more tender and juicy when cooked rare. Turkey legs are full of thick tendons and lots of connective tissue, so you want to cook it longer to break down the collagen in all connective junk. The longer you cook a meat, the lower you want the temp, so it very gradually rises to your target temp, rather than burning.

Back
Top Bottom