• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Copper Plated Bullets???

4   0
Reaction score
I normally use FMJ and JHP when reloading for my .40, but have been interested in trying out some copper plated bullets since they are a tad cheaper. Any recommendations as to which brand is the best? I've never used any copper plated stuff because I was always worried they would be soft and deform easily. Only interested in them for plinking and target practice, I have JHP for carry ammo. Also do they perform well with Alliant Power Pistol powder? I have about 3 lbs of it on hand at the moment. I've seen a few different brands like Xtreme Bullets, Rainier, and Berry's, so input will be greatly appreciated.

I've used Ranier and Berry's in multiple hangun calibers. Both loaded and performed fine. Both were consistent in weight and accuracy (within respective lots). Don't overcrimp or shoot out of super fast rifles and you won't be able to tell any differnces between plated and fmj, of couse, IMO.

I use RMR triple plated 9mm 147 grains. They're fully plated and the plating doesn't expose lead after running through my MP5 clone and suppressor, so no leading up at all.

Thanks for the info Bushwhacker Bushwhacker . I only use light crimp, but I'm sure I will have to adjust for the copper plated stuff. I only plan to use them in my .40 so no worries about fast rifles and all.

Thanks SOLGardener SOLGardener for the recommendation on the RMR stuff, never heard of them. After reading about the thickness of their plating, I will def be ordering some next week. They also have pretty dang good prices and free shipping!

Another question, do I used jacketed load data for the RMR plated bullets? I use a chronograph when doing load development, but rarely run my .40 over 950fps for plinking/target stuff.

I can't tell you yes, but I can tell you that I did for mine. 5.0gr or Ramshot True Blue gives me right at 980-1000fps from my 226, and around 1,050-1070 from my MP5 clone. That's the same charge I use in my 147gr Hornady XTP's.

Thanks for the help, I will try out my same load data for my FMJ loads for the same weight copper plated bullets. Will post results when I get the chance to load em up in a couple weeks and test em out.

When I seat my RMR bullets, there is only a slight mark from the bullet seating bushing and it flattens the nose just a bit. It's insignificant enough that I don't bother changing the bushing from the flat one I use for the XTP's to the round one form FMJ's. I've recovered fired rounds from a tree and they are no more deformed than an FMJ would be.

Back
Top Bottom