• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Corn Snake vs Copperhead

Beautiful snakes. I'm in the "snake lover" category myself. I think your black one is an eastern king (for 2 reasons). The color pattern (the single yellow line and the multi colored belly). I think a rat snake has more color on his back and a plain white belly. But hard to tell sometimes.

The King snake is named that because he is the "KING OF SNAKES". He eats other snakes, including venomous ones. They are my absolute favorite snake to see. And they are smart. If approached by a predator, a King snake will run his tail under a pile of leaves/twigs and shake it, trying to make a rattlesnake noise. He thinks he can fool his predator by doing this. Who knows; maybe it works.

Anyway, lovely snakes and lovely video. And hey, even if that smaller one is not venomous, let that king snake eat! You want him to stick around.

Indeed a King Snake. I've also seen a Copperhead rustle leaves with its tail to mimic a Rattlesnake.
OP, the bands on a Copperhead will look more hourglass shaped than straight bars or bands, usually a few broken bands toward the rear section of the body.

Good call on your behalf, despite the identity of the snake in question. to err on the side of caution to protect your household.
Always use caution when dispatching a snake, most bites occur when people are trying to harass or kill the snakes.
If a King Snake gets ahold of another snake, he usually has his way with them.

Thanks. I haven't seen anymore snakes in the yard but I'm sure they're either there or close by. Of course if they are out today they have bigger issues than watching out for the resident king snake.

king snakes are named that for a reason . they will kill and swallow all your copperheads . I saw a video of one killing and swallowing a rattlesnake and crawled off with the rattle hanging out of it's mouth . they were equal size . they are the only snake in north America that is less than 5000 years old . that is why they have different markings . they have not yet completed hybridization . any black snake that has any other color than black ( cream, butter yellow , white ) is a king snake so leave them alone to hunt the poisonous ones . if it's completely black including underneath it is a rat snake (racer) . I have lots of kings on my property and have seen many variations of markings . one seven footer with diamond like patterns in butter yellow and absolutely beautiful . recently saw a three footer with only a white collar . really different . most will have some white on chin/neck/belly area but not always . some have only white specks on black like they were splattered with paint . they will vibrate their tail against leaves as if mimicking a rattle snake . at first encounter of a human they are blustery but calm down quickly with handling . only bite a few times until they realize you are not going to harm them . in an hour or so you have a garden friend .

Back
Top Bottom