• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coronavirus Pandemic (many threads merged)

Is the Coronavirus going to cause a pandemic in the USA?

• Yes

Votes: 197 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 127 28.0%
  • Too Early to guess

Votes: 130 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
… it would be the best move for most of the population to resume life in two weeks.....

We have to get back to work. We need to do en masse testing not only for active infections but for antibodies. Assuming the people with antibodies had the WuFlu, recovered, and are now immune. Those people should be released to go back to work. Administering both test in large scale compiles much needed and better data and that leads to better strategies and decisions.

Guess one is that the number of infected or previously infected is 100 or even a 1000 times what is reported. That is the best case scenario and implies the WuFlu has a low fatality and complications rate and herd immunity is not too far away.

Guess two is that the number of infected or previously infected is 5 or even a 25 times what is reported. That is a worse scenario and implies the WuFlu has a significant fatality and complications rate and herd immunity is far away.

If your Guess is wrong and you assumed Guess 1 is correct and act upon it by returning back to normal, the body piles will be sky high and the economy eventually crashes.

If your Guess is wrong and you assumed Guess 2 is correct and act upon it by NOT returning back to normal, the body piles are minimized, but economy still crashes.

So the pandemic is hitting a little closer to me as my son and daughter-in-law are trapped in Cambodia because the Christian school where they teach just shut everything down and told them the teachers are on 'vacation' until further notice.
They are able to stay at their apartment on campus and have access to fresh food but the embassy there can't help them at all.
As if I wasn't worried about them before...

One of our aircraft carriers is out of service due to the rona.

USS Theodore Roosevelt, is sidelined for now.

I thought young folks just got the sniffles, why all the fuss and loss of readiness?

I was stationed on a carrier as Marine Detachment for 2 years in the 70's.

It's a big ship and in two years I'm pretty sure I never saw everyone, never sat on the mess deck when they were there, never walked past them in a hallway. Never ever saw them at any time.

Though the ship is large, berthing (sleeping) quarters are not. Even in MarDet we were stacked 3 high and just 3' away from another 3 high stack and those racks (beds) were head to head with 6 more just like them.

In hindsight, they're in very close quarters a lot of the time. You have to eat, so you have to go to the mess deck. They serve 4 meals a day, breakfast, lunch, dinner and midrats (Middle of the night rations, left over dinner for those just getting off duty or a fresh breakfast for those just going on duty).
There's just no damn way there can be any type of real separation.
A bug will go through there in a blink of an eye.

I have a lot of time at sea, from a carrier to an LST (tiny little amphibious assault ship).
I wouldn't want to be on any ship of any size right now, that gig just got a whole lot tougher!

“I will be swearing in up to 150 ‘special policemen’ who will be authorized to issue citations for anyone found to be in violation of this order,” Brumbalow said. “These individuals will be in plain clothes and could be at any public location at any time."

GLWS!

How are the "special popos" gonna get within 6 feet to hand me my citation?

Citizen's arrest!!!

“I will be swearing in up to 150 ‘special policemen’ who will be authorized to issue citations for anyone found to be in violation of this order,” Brumbalow said. “These individuals will be in plain clothes and could be at any public location at any time."

GLWS!

So they are swearing in a bunch of guys who lost their security job at the mall. They worked at the mall because they couldn't make it as a real cop. Yeah, I can see this working out! "You must respect my auth or a tay!"

Back
Top Bottom