• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cost Per Round

reloading the 9MM and the 40 cal is not a great savings!

not sure about 40... but my 9mm is lrn running me about 4.73 per 50 round box

based on cheap steel crap wolf at wally world costing over $11 after tax... I think a 60%+ savings is huge!

I also load .45 plinkers with plated 230's at under $8.50 ... buddy of mine shoots lead and clock in around $6.00 a box

not sure about 40... but my 9mm is lrn running me about 4.73 per 50 round box

based on cheap steel crap wolf at wally world costing over $11 after tax... I think a 60%+ savings is huge!

I also load .45 plinkers with plated 230's at under $8.50 ... buddy of mine shoots lead and clock in around $6.00 a box

well of course you know what it cost you to reload any caliber.
that said many forget to include shipping chanrges, Haz mat fees, and sales tax.
if you cast your own projectiles people forget to include gas/ and such to run around and scrounge lead.
I can't load 9 MM for under 5 bucks a box personally, but good for you if you can.
In this case i think the OP was asking about getting into reloading the 9MM or 40 cal to save money, so in that case you also need to figure in the cost of equipment and then how long it takes to recoup your cost as compared to buying over the counter,actually there are quite a few online spots that routinely have new factory ammo at or below 10.00 per box,and shipping basically offsets sales tax.

Don't pay any hazmats here. I have a store about 15miles from my house that has descent prices on primers and powder (so yes, I have to take in account the cost of fuel to and from). I do usually order bullets online and try to buy $200 or more and consolidate shipping to get the overall cost down.

Startup cost does make the cost go way up and it probably takes a few thousand rounds to break even, but then you are in the green for life. It really depends on how much you shoot or plan on shooting.

But, buying loaded ammo is just no fun.

Yep, I have 3 gun shops in less than 15 miles from me, well 2 and 1 thats about 18 miles away that sale reloading supplies to some extent.!
So I wouldn't have to pay haz mat fees either if i bought there,and i do try to help the local business man.
but buying online CCI primers (which i use) are 24-26 bucks per thousand, here they run from 36-42 bucks per thousand, powders online is typically in the 14-17 dollar a pound , here its in the 21-25 dollar a pound.
so it doesn't take a math genius to figure out that if you buy a few thousand primers,and a couple pounds of powder then you are well ahead of the game letting them stick a haz mat sticker on the side of the box, and as mentioned shipping charges typically offset the not paying taxes on the itmes. but to each his/her own.
now if you are just running down to the local gunshop to pick up a thousand primers or 1 pound of powder then thats different, and a waste of time in my opinion.
projectiles are a different matter as they are not regulated in shipment, much like ORM-D.

I never consider cruising to a gun shop to get supplies and then snooping around for 30 minutes or so as a waste of time. I consider it research. :)

I have been getting primers for about $33 per thousand, but to see the savings by ordering haz mat, you do have to buy a lot at a time, and I typically don't have the spare funds to order that much at a time. As for projectiles, I just about always order them online, they cost too much locally and as you said before, the shipping usually offsets what tax would have been.

Everything being equal ... ponder the fact that retail ammunition prices have and will continue to go up.
Every dealer that I have talked to has stated that they are buying (at wholesale) what their selling price was last year.
That plus the fact that scrap brass is currently quoted at $1.50 per pound at local scrap yards. This while
Brassman is selling once-fired (whatever that actually is) at about $2.20 per pound (excluding tax and shipping costs).

With our government printing an extra $1 Trillion each and every year to fund "The Deficit" ... Inflation is a looming reality.
Unfortunately, this is predicted to start at 10-30% by the end of next year ... Yes, next year!

Don't believe me? Just look at food & gasoline prices .... We used to eat a lot of hambuger until it
started selling for steak prices!

Right now, in addition to their offering of silver "Gun Dollars", Bud's has started selling copper "Gun Dollars"

BTW: Don't forget to VOTE for your favorite candidate in November ..

And of course now MY reloading cost rose a 7% increase now, seeing as how now sales tax are tacked on top of all internet orders coming into Georgia!
wait until all the ladies figure this out on thier QVC & HSN orders!!-LOL
Its going to be hell to pay then!!!

Back
Top Bottom