• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Could bling cause a legal problem?

rocinante

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
3   0
Reaction score
Let me explain my question in context. I got a black plastic holster and told my son I was going to blink it up by putting some snake skin vinyl wrap on it. He said on all your carry gear you want it as stock and boring as possible because a zealous prosecutor would try to play you up as an aggressive gun nut just looking for someone to shoot.

I don't think my particular choice is that outrageous but I have seen holsters on ebay with punisher or grim reaper or other gory themes on ebay where that argument might make an some impact. Regardless if one got involved in a shooting enough is going on questions about gear decoration seems weak sauce to me.

Weigh in, something to worry about or not?

Let me explain my question in context. I got a black plastic holster and told my son I was going to blink it up by putting some snake skin vinyl wrap on it. He said on all your carry gear you want it as stock and boring as possible because a zealous prosecutor would try to play you up as an aggressive gun nut just looking for someone to shoot.

I don't think my particular choice is that outrageous but I have seen holsters on ebay with punisher or grim reaper or other gory themes on ebay where that argument might make an some impact. Regardless if one got involved in a shooting enough is going on questions about gear decoration seems weak sauce to me.

Weigh in, something to worry about or not?

Might as well be prepared mentally - If you carry a gun, you are a aggressive gun. I just leave my stuff alone as it came from the factory. I’m not into bling or fashion so I’ve never cared much for the punisher stuff or the zombie stuff, etc. I doubt snakeskin would qualify as bloodthirsty in a courtroom in the State of Ga.

Prosecutor?
No that an arbitrary pattern on a holster, or the color of your slide, or running an RMR, inherently puts you at more risk for being found at fault after a justified/legal self-defense shooting.
Please show me some examples that led so many people to believe this is relevant? Don’t just copy and paste what Masad Ayoob wrote in his black and white mailer card, a real example.
I have worked for a firearms dealer for quite some time now and this is something that is being spread willingly and ignorantly with absolutely zero factual proof behind it.
But what’s new in this profession

I am not a bling guy, don't wear jewelry, dislike logos of any kind on my clothes. As grey man as possible is my style so this is not something I would do.
I think, however, the far more important issue should you ever have the need to utilize your firearm is what you say and do following the shooting. I AM Certainly NOT an attorney so for what it's worth.
Have your weapon holstered when the police arrive.
Comply willingly with any demands they make including cuffing and detention.
Respectfully request an attorney before speaking and adamantly refuse to answer questions beyond name, address without one. We might think this makes us look guilty and a zealous investigator may even make a statement alluding to that but the police understand and would do no differently.
Don't speak to the press or anyone you don't trust with your life (or freedom) about the matter until all criminal AND civil matters are resolved. This would be one of the hardest steps.

I can't imagine just having some different colors or aftermarket accessories on your gun would give ANY reasonable person the idea that you're bloodthirsty.

If you were charged with DUI, Hit-and-Run, and vehicular homicide, would it matter that you painted over your car's perfectly good but boring gray factory paint and made it candy apple red with black trim?

Would it matter if you had sheepskin seat covers and the steering wheel was wrapped in leather for a more secure grip?

No.

Now, could it matter if you were driving a Corvette rather than an Impala?
What about a Corvette that had a turbocharger with a big air scoop coming out of the center of the hood?
What if you had flames painted down both sides, and blood-looking red paint splashed across the grille. And a bumper sticker that said "Get Out of My Way or I'll Run Your Slow Ass Over"? Now have you crossed that line into looking like a reckless nutcase who needs to have the book thrown at him?

Yes. Your choice of car and how you decorated it will be used to show your depraved character, which helps explain why you did what you did that day.

I think the same issue could come up with guns and gun accessories.
But, on the other hand, if your hobby is racing cars (legally, on a private track), you need a car that looks and performs differently from a normal car.

And if you own or carry a gun specifically for self-protection, it should not be expected to look, or function, or use exactly the same ammo, as a hunting arm or target range paper-puncher.

Just look like me and you are already convicted,add in the 7 or 8 biker rings and you have a reserved seat in the electric chair oh and those racist tats,yep you doin time boy.

Back
Top Bottom