• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

could it b? suppressors coming off NFA list

I seriously doubt it'll happen, but if it did, I think suppressor prices would go down instead of going up.

Every gun company would start making them and try to price theirs lower than the competition. I think we would see some very cool new designs also.

I would start printing my own baffle stack with a 3d printer. When they wore out throw them away and print a new stack.

I seriously doubt it'll happen, but if it did, I think suppressor prices would go down instead of going up.

Every gun company would start making them and try to price theirs lower than the competition. I think we would see some very cool new designs also.
Every gun company? You mean every yahoo with access to a machine shop. There might actually be a reason to go to a gun show again.

I agree and I think we're nearing the pinnacle of suppressor design and performance.

Why were they [silencers] ever added to start with? I can't recall ever reading any news where some mouse of a criminal pulled out his pistol to rob someone with a bulky suppressor attached to it.

I did some research about Depression-era gangsters and the Chicago mob of the 1920s-1930s when I was writing about the origins of the N.F.A. '34. I don't recall any use of silenced / suppressed / muffled weapons by these gangsters at that time. But they might have. Certainly the Chicago gangsters in particular were known to shop at gun stores and sporting goods stores, and if they saw Maxim silencers for sale, they might have wanted to buy some, for use in assassinations. The fewer people who hear the gunshots, the better. If it takes an extra 5 minutes for the killing to be discovered and the cops called, that's an extra 5 minute head start the assassin has to better make his getaway.

The categories for machine guns and sawed-off shotguns were well-supported by gangster use of such guns. Although for many gangs of criminals, the machineguns would come from robbing police stations and breaking into National Guard armories! Only a few criminals bought full autos from retail stores.

The whole idea behind the NFA was to distinguish between normal guns (that are good for both sport and tactical use) and guns and accessories made specifically for combat / homicide. And the public perception of silencers was that they let murders happen in big cities without anybody hearing the shot, so the crime goes unnoticed until somebody trips over the victim's body. Neither Congress nor the public even considered that silencers were legitimate safety products that preserved the hearing of hunters and target shooters.

The NRA didn't tell them, either. The NRA made no effort to keep silencers out of the final version of the bill. They succeeded in keeping ordinary handguns out of the reach of the NFA, and all the other kinds of exotic weapons could be banned, for all they cared.

Every company IS going to make them, just saw an email where Blackhawk of all companies are coming out with cans.

I didnt know about this. Why can't GA have a Firearms Freedom Act? We have some great suppressor makers.

Montana House Bill 246, the Montana Firearms Freedom Act, was signed into law by Governor Brian Schweitzer on April 15, 2009, and became effective October 1, 2009. This legislation declares that certain firearms and firearms accessories manufactured, sold, and kept within the state of Montana are exempt from federal firearms laws, since they cannot be regulated as interstate commerce.[45][46] However, this law does not apply to a firearm that cannot be carried and used by one person, a firearm that has a bore diameter greater than 1 ½ inches and uses smokeless powder, ammunition that uses exploding projectiles or fully automatic firearms. While it is likely to face a court challenge (and specifically intended to provoke one[47]), this Montana law would put firearms accessories such as silencers actually made in Montana, marked "Made in Montana", and sold only to Montana citizens outside federal jurisdiction and not subject to the $200 federal transfer tax.

As of April 2013, similar laws had been enacted by Kansas, Tennessee, Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah, Arizona, Idaho and Alaska and introduced in most other states.[48]

yah but unfortunaltly it wont protect you from federal agents https://bearingarms.com/ba-staff/2016/11/25/kansas-mans-homemade-suppressors-clash-federal-law/. should be some interesting cases that stem from this

Back
Top Bottom