Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here. Registered users also see less ads!

could it b? suppressors coming off NFA list

Thread in 'Firearms Chat' started by sweathogger273, Jan 11, 2017.

1. NWSharpshooter

NWSharpshooter The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

431   0

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I was unaware of that. Interesting. Learn something new every day.

2. NWSharpshooter

NWSharpshooter The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

431   0

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

I would start printing my own baffle stack with a 3d printer. When they wore out throw them away and print a new stack.

lostchild, BangBang and palmettomoon like this.
  3. Radar363

Radar363 ODT Junkie!

12   0

Rating
    100%
    Every gun company? You mean every yahoo with access to a machine shop. There might actually be a reason to go to a gun show again.

BangBang likes this.
  4. Lazarus

Lazarus The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

22   0

Rating
    100%
    I agree and I think we're nearing the pinnacle of suppressor design and performance.

BangBang likes this.
  5. GAgunLAWbooklet

GAgunLAWbooklet ODT Junkie!

13   0

Rating
    100%

I did some research about Depression-era gangsters and the Chicago mob of the 1920s-1930s when I was writing about the origins of the N.F.A. '34. I don't recall any use of silenced / suppressed / muffled weapons by these gangsters at that time. But they might have. Certainly the Chicago gangsters in particular were known to shop at gun stores and sporting goods stores, and if they saw Maxim silencers for sale, they might have wanted to buy some, for use in assassinations. The fewer people who hear the gunshots, the better. If it takes an extra 5 minutes for the killing to be discovered and the cops called, that's an extra 5 minute head start the assassin has to better make his getaway.

The categories for machine guns and sawed-off shotguns were well-supported by gangster use of such guns. Although for many gangs of criminals, the machineguns would come from robbing police stations and breaking into National Guard armories! Only a few criminals bought full autos from retail stores.

The whole idea behind the NFA was to distinguish between normal guns (that are good for both sport and tactical use) and guns and accessories made specifically for combat / homicide. And the public perception of silencers was that they let murders happen in big cities without anybody hearing the shot, so the crime goes unnoticed until somebody trips over the victim's body. Neither Congress nor the public even considered that silencers were legitimate safety products that preserved the hearing of hunters and target shooters.

The NRA didn't tell them, either. The NRA made no effort to keep silencers out of the final version of the bill. They succeeded in keeping ordinary handguns out of the reach of the NFA, and all the other kinds of exotic weapons could be banned, for all they cared.

6. REDX

REDX ODT Junkie!

105   0

Rating
    100%
    Every company IS going to make them, just saw an email where Blackhawk of all companies are coming out with cans.

BangBang likes this.
  7. Lazarus

Lazarus The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

22   0

Rating
    100%
    Well any time Joe blow can make one using auto parts why not get in on the action?

REDX likes this.
  8. palmettomoon

palmettomoon The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

56   0

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Hell they sell them 'undrilled' at the funshow. That guy will rake it in if they become unregulated.

Radar363 likes this.
  9. GeauxLSU

GeauxLSU Moderator Staff Member

25   0

Rating
    100%
    When it doubt, if it's something that would make the federal government more effective, just assume it doesn't exist.

palmettomoon likes this.
  10. CBH13

CBH13 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

75   0

Rating
    100%
    yah but unfortunaltly it wont protect you from federal agents https://bearingarms.com/ba-staff/2016/11/25/kansas-mans-homemade-suppressors-clash-federal-law/. should be some interesting cases that stem from this