• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

COUNTDOWN TO DEER SEASON 2021

35 more...

smudge cat only hunting half a day.jpg

Let the argument begin

Pulling the feeder won’t have much effect at all on the deer being nocturnal.. Deer are mostly nocturnal during the Summer unless there is a cool front or rain that makes them come to fields early. The only thing pulling the feeder will do is save you a feed bill.
Pulling the feed can and has worked for us in regards to a nocturnal feeding pattern. It may not work in all cases, but that’s just what I’ve found, based on firsthand experience between the hours on stand every season and running trail cams practically year round.
With an abundance of corn or feed, the deer would browse while in cover by day and pound the feed on short intervals all night, thus taking away the need to move and search for available food every 4 hours. The only places my camera activity is 4 times more frequent at night is on bait piles or feeders. Most every other camera site is 50/50.
The deer at my lease receive little pressure and move all day long for a majority of the season. They’ll move and feed on natural sources all hours of the day and seem a lot more relaxed. Put bait out there and when they come in during daylight hours they’re nervous and on edge. They won’t stay very long either. They frequent the bait sites more at night when they feel safe and secure, then they tend to linger for much longer.

Pulling the feed can and has worked for us in regards to a nocturnal feeding pattern. It may not work in all cases, but that’s just what I’ve found, based on firsthand experience between the hours on stand every season and running trail cams practically year round.
With an abundance of corn or feed, the deer would browse while in cover by day and pound the feed on short intervals all night, thus taking away the need to move and search for available food every 4 hours. The only places my camera activity is 4 times more frequent at night is on bait piles or feeders. Most every other camera site is 50/50.
The deer at my lease receive little pressure and move all day long for a majority of the season. They’ll move and feed on natural sources all hours of the day and seem a lot more relaxed. Put bait out there and when they come in during daylight hours they’re nervous and on edge. They won’t stay very long either. They frequent the bait sites more at night when they feel safe and secure, then they tend to linger for much longer.
By all means if it works for you, I should’ve worded my response differently and said that it doesn’t effect mine personally. I’ve got a 100 acre corn field next door to me so I’m sure that is also a factor. I’m also only about a mile from the veterans state park and not much hunting goes on around me so they feel little pressure and move pretty much all day long. I don’t hunt over my main feeder that I show all my pictures from. Not that I have any problem shooting a deer over bait I just like keeping that one unpressured and really just use it to get pictures. I hate hunting out in the open, I prefer being in the woods any time unless I’m culling for a plantation.

Yeah I’ve definitely noticed those have patterns of them not really coming during the day and staying I am night. It’s A 40 pound Moultry feeder tied to the tree. I wondered with a larger feeder that was timed for putting it out in the mornings would be better. Haven’t left the trail cam up without the feeder To see what their habit patterns are. There is a pretty good trail worn in the woods from where they’ve been walking.

last year I didn’t have the feeder up and I would just pour it out on the ground. And 30 pounds will be gone in a night. I would have anywhere from 6 to 8 coming up every night. This year with the feeder seems to be about 1 to 2 at night

If you can, adjust the amount that comes out and have it throw the least amount possible just after daybreak, one time per day.

Either that or see if you can find a staging area that’s in between bedding cover and the feed site, then set up there to intercept.

Sorry didn’t want to do that to ya.
Excalibur’s website has decent forums…..may want to browse a bit there and see if you can find out if they corrected that issue.
I love the heck out of my micro though.
So much nicer for walk and stalk hunts.

Hey hikingthehills hikingthehills ,
Just took the micro out today to shoot at
My buddy’s place.
I had to stop after I ruined two fletchings on two arrows as I grouped three that fought for the same hole at 30 yards kneeling position.
Man Excalibur’s are just plain sick but these micros are a whole new kind of sick.
The only thing I’d change about it is the crosshairs are very thin and could benefit from illuminated x hairs.

Back
Top Bottom