• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Couple XD mod2 questions, including Night sights

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
So I finally with much regress got rid of my compact 1911 in favor of an XD mod 2. It feels weird not having a hammer gun but much more comfortable on my side for everyday carry (though oddly with the increased ammo capacity the weapon is noticeably heavier on my side. also went from a 3" barrel to a 4" though). So time for some night sights for the bad boy. I'm also using the firearm for IDPA since I like to stay proficient with my carry gun and use it as often as possible and shy away some from using my Range officer as my primary competition gun as its a completely different (though still prefered) platform.

Looking at sights I'm seing the Tritium fiber optic combos, any thoughts? are they worth almost double the price of standard night sights? The fiber optics do help me a TON in competition. but not sure its worth almost half what I paid for the gun just for a set of sights.

Second. After years of a SERIOUSLY high grip and resting my thumb on the safety I have found that my instictive grip on the gun causes my thumb to rest on the slide release causing slide lock to not function when the mag is empty. Any advice other than a lot of dry fire drills to fix this?

For your sight TFO's all day everyday.

As for your grip I do the same thing happens in every competition I am in. At first I was concerned about and really wanted it to not happen and spent a lot of time trying to correct it. I then came to the conclusion that my grip is what it giving me the best possible recoil management and sight picture for me to keep shots on target and follow up with accurate shots. This caused me to stop worrying about my thumbs and the realization that it doesn't ad to reload time at all its still the same "push mag release flick wrist support hand is already grabbing fresh mag mag in rack slide" I never use the slide release at other then to hold the slide open for an RO. Don't stress about it practice reloading if that's what worries you.

Back
Top Bottom