• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Covering a hard/slick cheek piece

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
If you’re like me and have sensitive baby cheeks, then you probably don’t like hard, slick cheek pieces either. Cold in the winter, slick and slippery in the summer......just plain uncomfortable. Here’s a couple of options to alleviate this.

First is marketed by Kick-Eez under the product name of Cheek-Eez. It’s a pad of Sorbothane with a self-adhesive back, available in thicknesses of 1/16”, 1/8”, 3/16”, and 1/4”. Degrease the area where it will be affixed, cut to size/shape (if necessary), and stick on your stock. Voila!

Pros: Cheap, easy to use, and super comfy
Cons: If it’s on your stock for several years, when you go to remove it it tends to come apart in pieces and the adhesive backing stays on your stock. Also, it tends to soak up cleaning solvents and the like. If you’re gonna use, buy a few, and change often.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...re/cheek-pieces/rifle-cheek-eez-prod7404.aspx

Trying something new, as the pic below shows. Instead of the Sorbothane, I used a piece of “industrial grade” Velcro; the soft “loop” part and not the hard “hook” part. Prepped the surface and Velcro like above, and stuck it on. The Sorbothane is a little more comfortable, but I think the Velcro may work better in the long run. I know it sticks to surfaces very sturdily (I’ve used it to hang fire extinguishers), but isn’t near as difficult to remove as the Sorbothane. I could even wash it if need be, while it’s still on the rifle.

Of course, these options aren’t for raising the cheekweld, although the 1/4” Sorbothane works well if you need a very minor lift. They are just for comfort, although having a good purchase for my cheek on the rifle, where it isn’t slipping in the sweat, helps my accuracy.

B542324B-1066-4E37-8B44-695EC4A39DE3.jpeg

I've used the Cheek-Eez on shotgun stocks to improve the fit and they are very comfortable and easy to use. You're right about difficulty removing them and you have to be careful on a wood stock. I've had to use Goof-Off to get the glue off and that is always a risk to the finish.

I've used the Cheek-Eez on shotgun stocks to improve the fit and they are very comfortable and easy to use. You're right about difficulty removing them and you have to be careful on a wood stock. I've had to use Goof-Off to get the glue off and that is always a risk to the finish.

Yep, I’ve had to use Goof-Off to remove the residue more than once, but it was on McMillan or HS Precision stocks, so no worries about the finish. Still a PITA.....hardest glue residue I’ve ever had to remove. I’m liking the Velcro more and more!

I've done the same with sticky back split leather and sticky back thin closed-cell foam. Works wonders. I like the idea of the loop velcro.

Good tips! Thanks. Split leather would be good. If I could get my rifle to smell like an old baseball glove, it would be a win-win!

I used the velcro trick on a Keltec Sub2000 about 12 years ago to keep my cheek from that steel tube. Brrrr.

Another trick: I have facial hair, just like all the real operators. With a good cheek weld some of that hair gets trapped between the plastic collapsible stock and lower receiver extension tube on my AR15. Pull the head up, lose some cheek hair (OUCH!).

My solution was to cut section of mountain bike tire inner tube, about 1" long. I slip that over the "nose" of the stock so it covers the hair plucking section of the stock. It will hang off the front of the plastic section about 1/2 inch or so. Viola! No more plucked beard hairs.

I used to tell people that anyone who claimed to be a Navy Seal but didn't have a bald spot on their cheek was probably lying.

I used the velcro trick on a Keltec Sub2000 about 12 years ago to keep my cheek from that steel tube. Brrrr.

Another trick: I have facial hair, just like all the real operators. With a good cheek weld some of that hair gets trapped between the plastic collapsible stock and lower receiver extension tube on my AR15. Pull the head up, lose some cheek hair (OUCH!).

My solution was to cut section of mountain bike tire inner tube, about 1" long. I slip that over the "nose" of the stock so it covers the hair plucking section of the stock. It will hang off the front of the plastic section about 1/2 inch or so. Viola! No more plucked beard hairs.

I used to tell people that anyone who claimed to be a Navy Seal but didn't have a bald spot on their cheek was probably lying.
Yep. That **** hurts. And just for fun, every once in a while it grabs some mustache hair.

Back
Top Bottom