• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Covering the serial on a NFA?

I'm not going challenge Nonliberal Nonliberal on this as he has probably forgotten more about NFA that I know. However, readily removable in all of the documentation I have read in the NFA applies removing or obliterating a serial. Covering a serial number is not removing it and nowhere does it define readily accessible for viewing just that it be visible. I'd go with engraving the OEM serial number with the NFA engraving and be done with it. As an end-user unless you do something really stupid how often does an NFA agent inspect your stuff. For Nonliberal Nonliberal as a SOT holder it definitely applies more than an end user. Worst case call them up and submit it in the ask the experts for full clarification.
That sounds pretty accurate. It boils down to being an A student or a C student on the letter of the law. People who work in gov are usually D students

Just my 2 cents here but since you have to engrave it, why not just engrave the OEM serial number under name or trust name and city, state? Keep a copy of your stamp with you; I keep scanned copies on my phone. No one is the wiser and no where in the regulation that I have read does it state anything other than engraving depth and visible. Keep a picture or two of the fire arm with the saddle off as well. No one who asked my about an NFA item has ever inspected the weapon. They just want to see the stamp and then away they go. Usually it's and over zealous RSO who really wants to finger **** my NFA toy anyway and they aren't looking at the engraving.

And that RSO can keep on walking. I don't carry copies of my NFA stamps, nor am I required to show it to anyone except for the AG, or his designee.

And that RSO can keep on walking. I don't carry copies of my NFA stamps, nor am I required to show it to anyone except for the AG, or his designee.

A range will lose my business if they demand to see my stamp. Maybe Im paranoid, but I have no clue who wants to look at my paperwork that has all my info on it.

I just turn my stamps into PDFs and upload to my phone. I always have a copy of them that way. No where, at least that I can find, says anything about producing the physical document whether original or a copy. Ends that aspect real quick. Especially when they see how many I have. <end humble brag/>

I'm putting in for my stamp to SBS my shockwave. I run a side saddle the inconveniently covers the serial number. Now, I've never had anything checked or known anyone who's had anything checked, but am I asking for a problem by not being able to see the serial number? I can get the saddle off, but not without more tools than I carry. I "might" can modify it to show the number but I'm not sure.
I have the same brand shell holder on a plain old 500A and when I wanted to write down all my numbers I had to take it off which was a pain. Promag/Archangel makes one that's a good bit narrower and they usually have them at Academy. Pretty sure it won't cover the number since it's way down at the bottom of the receiver.

Absolutely nothing to do with my question....

You are missing the point. No cop or RSO will look to compare the paperwork to the weapon - unless things have moved on to an investigation.

However; what if the cop notices you are in possession of an SBR or Machine gun. How do you show on the spot you are legal? Good luck telling him he has no authority - that's a direct route to being arrested. We train the police what to look for. No paperwork and you will be detained or worse.

So cover your engraving if you want but always have a copy of your paperwork.

I travel all over the country with my weapon and I always have copies of:

1. FFL
  2. SOT
  3. Transport letter- description of who I am and why I have the weapons along with the federal statute numbers that allow me travel inter-state with said NFA items.
  4. Form Two's
  5. Form Three's
  6. Form Four's
  7. All in a neat envelope.

You are missing the point. No cop or RSO will look to compare the paperwork to the weapon - unless things have moved on to an investigation.

However; what if the cop notices you are in possession of an SBR or Machine gun. How do you show on the spot you are legal? Good luck telling him he has no authority - that's a direct route to being arrested. We train the police what to look for. No paperwork and you will be detained or worse.

So cover your engraving if you want but always have a copy of your paperwork.

I travel all over the country with my weapon and I always have copies of:

1. FFL
  2. SOT
  3. Transport letter- description of who I am and why I have the weapons along with the federal statute numbers that allow me travel inter-state with said NFA items.
  4. Form Two's
  5. Form Three's
  6. Form Four's
  7. All in a neat envelope.

Again, none of that has anything to do with my question, at all.

Back
Top Bottom