• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coyote hunting advice

roswellj

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
118   0
Reaction score
Dear ODT,

If anyone has hunted coyotes and can please give me some suggestions. I hunt between Macon and Milledgeville on 200+ aces. Appears coyotes are running the deer and I was asked to work on it. Have read in GA a shotgun is good. because they will get n close. I used an AR15 but haven't seen any yet. Am trying to call them in.

Please give me your suggestions. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

John
rpswellj

Dear ODT,

If anyone has hunted coyotes and can please give me some suggestions. I hunt between Macon and Milledgeville on 200+ aces. Appears coyotes are running the deer and I was asked to work on it. Have read in GA a shotgun is good. because they will get n close. I used an AR15 but haven't seen any yet. Am trying to call them in.

Please give me your suggestions. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

John
rpswellj

Hunt all day. Hunt medium sized fields where they can come out into the open but still feel safe since they can dart back into the woods. You have to be completely covered up in camo. They will see any movements. Set up one of those tails that flail around either electronically or with a pull string with a distress call. And have your rifle ready they come out quick.

Best early and late. Make sure the call is upwind preferably 75 yards or so as the WILL 100% circle downwind of it. Stay as scent free and motionless as possible. If you see one. Shoot immediately but don't miss. (Easy as that right? ;) ) If it came into a call, it likely won't make that mistake again. If they come in pairs (which is probable this time of year), plan your shot carefully and immediately switch to wounded yote call if you didn't get a shot at the second. Might get lucky.
I tagged two this week that were running together. :cool:

To caveat, yes scent and sight on coyotes is amazing. Wear head to toe camo and scent blocker. When I shot my first coyote I was getting the rifle ready and the coyote stopped and looked right at me and took off. I shot it on the run…total luck.

play the wind
get a caller and a shakey thing
I put (preferably rabbit gut and blood) in old scent canisters pinned to my camo
and hide good
I hunt them as I would hunt an enemy that can shoot back
and put out a bucket of Deer guts if you have any and hunt it at mid-day (I hunt Deer in the morning & afternoon)

87954364_910620639369114_8968697617416454144_n.jpg

Here's a concerning note that my brother-n-law told me....and this is true...no internet stories. His co-worker's father has a small er farm with about 200 ac. Coyotes killed two of his livestock, and they went on a week hunt for them. Shot killed 7 coyotes. Thinking all was good and about a week later another livestock killed. Local guy told him that killing 7 coyotes on 200 ac doesn't even put a dent in their population especially with neighboring property. He said only way to control their population was by trapping them. Well 6 months later, they trapped over 300 (YES "300") coyotes on his property and more were still coming in from neighboring property. This is just outside of Jackson, Ga., south of Atlanta.

Here's a concerning note that my brother-n-law told me....and this is true...no internet stories. His co-worker's father has a small er farm with about 200 ac. Coyotes killed two of his livestock, and they went on a week hunt for them. Shot killed 7 coyotes. Thinking all was good and about a week later another livestock killed. Local guy told him that killing 7 coyotes on 200 ac doesn't even put a dent in their population especially with neighboring property. He said only way to control their population was by trapping them. Well 6 months later, they trapped over 300 (YES "300") coyotes on his property and more were still coming in from neighboring property. This is just outside of Jackson, Ga., south of Atlanta.
From what I read they are always male coyotes roaming looking for territory so they will fill voids.

Unsure if this is true but I have read that the size of their litters will increase or decrease to maintain a constant population.

Back
Top Bottom