• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coyotes

You don’t need a call.
If it’s a fox or cooons, or coyotes they know the chickens are there and will return almost nightly.

Their best bet would be to set traps unless you want to sit out there every night.
If so just set up a climber close by and set out a can of tuna fish or bacon grease for extra enticement.

I’ve had coons and fox taking mine.
Usually the coons would get one at a time but a fox would wreak havoc.
Sometimes a fox will eat them till he can’t move
And you’ll find him curled up in a ball inside the coop with a major belly ache.
That's great info. Thanks!

I doubt it's coyotes and while it's legal to shoot any critter harming 'livestock' varmint hunting season is closed. No season on coyotes obviously.
Having said that, foxpro is the industry leader on calls for a reason. They make everything from affordable to second mortgage required. https://www.gofoxpro.com/products/digital-game-calls/
Call them at dusk and dawn though they can be called in the middle of the day under the right circumstances. Be very judicious calling. Like turkeys, most people way over call predators The reality is, if it's a coyote and you don't get him on the first answer to the call, you aren't going to fool him again. Trapping is a far better (meaning more effective) option, but yeah, smoking them is more fun.
Good luck. If you were closer I'd lend a hand (and call).

Back
Top Bottom