• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

cracked skillet lid help needed

My dad was a career welder. Started in his teens at his dads machine shop. Went on to the shipyard then 42 years at a plant in Macon. Cast was the only weld he wouldn’t guarantee. Although I’m sure there have been improved products and techniques in the past 20 + years he’s been retired.

I have an extra lid somewhere in storage, but for the life of me, I can't remember what size it is. I'll try to find it over the weekend and if I can find it I'll shoot a pic or two, and you can see if you think it'll work. If it will, you can have it for whatever you think it's worth. I ain't never gonna do nothing with it.

So, I dropped the lid that belonged to my grandfathers skillet. I was looking for someone to weld/braze somehow fix so I can use it again. Maybe if someone on the southside of Atlanta wanted the job?
I can do some buzzbox stick welding but given what this is I don't want to make it worse.
And if you guys think this should be in the help wanted section let me know.
thanks!

The issue with cast iron is you're going to heat it again the first time you use it, and it's likely to crack a third time when you put it over a hot fire unless the rod was a perfect match. And even then, if there are imperfections in the cast it's going to crack there since you made the prior weak point stronger. Someone could get pretty close with the rod type and make it look complete again; but the repeated heated/cooling if you use it is going to be problematic.

And what brand is it? Some cast iron has a "limited lifetime warranty". I've heard of Lodge replacing decades old skillets because someone wrote asking them if it was under warranty.

The issue with cast iron is you're going to heat it again the first time you use it, and it's likely to crack a third time when you put it over a hot fire unless the rod was a perfect match. And even then, if there are imperfections in the cast it's going to crack there since you made the prior weak point stronger. Someone could get pretty close with the rod type and make it look complete again; but the repeated heated/cooling if you use it is going to be problematic.

And what brand is it? Some cast iron has a "limited lifetime warranty". I've heard of Lodge replacing decades old skillets because someone wrote asking them if it was under warranty.
I do not know the age but its at least 50. Grandfather drowned in 75 and it was used prior to that. Il look closer at makers marks on it but Id think it would be beyond a warranty.

Back
Top Bottom