• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Crazy Question

neauone

Default rank <300 posts Lifetime Supporter
Tracker
13   0
Reaction score
I own a few guns and rifles, but I am by all accounts an amateur gun owner. I'm perplexed by some of the upgrades made to rifles. Let me give you an example, someone buys a Ruger 10-22 for 250.00, than upgrades the stock, upgrades the barrel, upgrades the trigger, and adds for arguments sake about 600.00 more to the Ruger.

My question is why? If your just going to plink, why spend all that money, instead of buying a 22 pretty much loaded for say 399.00 and save money.

I see this with all types of rifles, I only singled out the Ruger. But AR15's are done up all the time and people invest a great deal of money, why not just buy what you want from the factory instead of investing perhaps another 2k?

Some throw money at increasing accuracy without understanding the fundamentals. We are told our whole lives that money solves problems. Gee gaws and gadgets are fun (sometimes) but if you want a super accurate 22 ready to shoot? Buy a $35O Mossberg 44US and quit while you're ahead.

Because...

tinkerer

My whole life I didn't want my stuff to look like everybody else's stuff.

When I was in college I had a '78 Mustang...I had to put an air dam and driving lights on it...because...well, I didn't want it to look like every other Mustang on the road.

Not so much with classic firearms but with modern ones, yeah.

And so instead of buying a regular AK I buy an AMD65 and put a folding stock on it...I dunno, like BangBang BangBang said, it's a sickness...

As far as AR's go, people like to set them up exactly how they want them. Most of the time you can't just go buy one off the shelf that has everything you want, so you've got to buy the extra stuff and add it.

The same goes for a .22 plinker. I bought a Savage FV-SR from a member here about a year ago. It was brand new, bone stock. Those guns don't have irons, so I had to add a scope.

After I added the scope, I took it out and did some shooting with @FrogHunter. I could get out to about 150 yards with it, but couldn't hit **** past that. I think he was running a 10/22 at the time and he was shooting circles around me. Well, I couldn't take that, so it was time to up the game! I added a bipod, polished the bolt and did a trigger job on the FV-SR.

After doing that, and putting in some trigger time, me and him both are reaching out to about 275 yards with our .22 rifles.

My cousin came out and brought his daughter to shoot with us last weekend. I think she's 14 or 15. We had a steel target set up at 250 yards. I put her on the FV-SR prone with the bipod and told her how much to hold up.

She hit it on her second shot and continued to keep ringing it for the rest of the day.

No amount of bells and whistles can replace the skill you gain from practice, but some upgrades really do make it easier to make those long shots.

IMG_0767.JPG

I have factory guns and I have modded guns. I like them both. Most factory guns, whether .22 cal or hunting rifles, can have accuracy improved with trigger and/or custom barrel upgrades. Just depends on what accuracy level is acceptable to you.

I can assure you no factory 10/22 will shoot like my Volqurtzen.

Back
Top Bottom