• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Crazy Question

OP must be from Plainville

IMG_0770.GIF

OP just described my 10/22. Integral barrel was about $650 (with stamp), TacSol stock was $200, Volq trigger kit and Bushnell Rim fire scope and you are there. Of course, it is quieter than a pellet gun now. Factory stock and barrel were donated to Dobbs for his enjoyment since I didn't need them. I could ask the same question about Glocks that people have 1500-2000 in them and aren't suppressed.

Because they are available, and because I can. We are Americans we like excess.
I have a m&p 15-22 with a tax stamp(sbr) and a binary trigger.
The accessories cost more then the gun

It's a disease! I used to be worse about adding everything that thought could make my gun just a little better. No I only upgrade what I really need and use the money I save on more guns! Still a disease lol

Just to stick to the same example OP gave, even a $400 10/22 doesn't quite cut it for many applications. Sometimes the situation calls for a better, or more costly, tool. I shoot 22 alot. Is $1k+ expensive for a 22? To some. But is $1k an expensive precision rifle? Absolutely not. That's a bargain.

It all depends on what you want. Some of my stuff is box stock. Others have been modified for specific reasons. The most accurate rifle I own is still the same as when I got it. The second most accurate (and longest range) has had over $600 dollars of accurization work done to it. My go-to hunting rifle has had a stock change, barrel shortened, trigger work and was Cerakoted. It's now the lightest and fastest handling hunting rifles I've ever owned and still shoots a round powerful enough to take any big game animal in the Americas other than the big bears. Even them, if I really needed to.

Some changes were made to get the performance I want. (Mostly accuracy). Others have been made due to learning exactly what I want through experience. Occasionally my motivation is purely aesthetic.

Back
Top Bottom