• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Crazy Question

Because...

tinkerer

My whole life I didn't want my stuff to look like everybody else's stuff.

When I was in college I had a '78 Mustang...I had to put an air dam and driving lights on it...because...well, I didn't want it to look like every other Mustang on the road.

Not so much with classic firearms but with modern ones, yeah.

And so instead of buying a regular AK I buy an AMD65 and put a folding stock on it...I dunno, like @BangBang said, it's a sickness...
Aww yeah! 78 Mustang 2 ! SWEET!

Guns are a personal taste thing like cars or motorcycles. Some like the 10\22 and AR you mentioned are so universal and ubiquitous that for some people they're more of a blank canvas or starting point than a finished firearm. Personally I really don't dig either one of those rifles over accessorized. But again it's person taste.

Remember when you had that 'GI JOE' (or being politically correct maybe a 'Barbie') when you were young , its like that. Or perhaps you are too young and have no clue what I mean. : )

Dude I see old men with these space age looking 22's and they are die hard 22LR shooters. They will lay on a mat for hours shooting 100 yards and do it with unreal accuracy. I would imagine some of those guns run into the 1000's after all the mods they put on them. Then you have a ass hole like me with a 6.8 with a Miculek comp. blowing their ear drums to hell. They look at me like they could kill me. I just snicker and keep on blasting. LOL

They have contraptions on those guns I have never seen before. Awkward looking mods. They seem to work. One old man can shoot for an hour and bring back a target with a dime sized hole in it.

Its something to do inbetween shooting. If i cant get to the range I get gun fever. Lol. I just clean my guns...then maybe....maybe it needs a new stock....might as well drop some rails on....BAM. Shopping spree.

Never thought much about it until I put a good scope on my hunting rifle. It made a huge difference at low light. The other upgrade I did was an after market trigger on my AR. These two things to me are where I want to spend my money, good optics and great triggers. I would like to upgrade to a better stock on a bench rifle when I get more time to shoot at distance. I guess people are just stretching the performance on their firearms with upgrades, but there is a lot of cheap stuff out there people use to look tacticool.

... I'm perplexed by some of the upgrades made to rifles.
Let me give you an example, someone buys a Ruger 10-22 for 250.00, than upgrades the stock, upgrades the barrel, upgrades the trigger, and adds for arguments sake about 600.00 more to the Ruger.

My question is why? If your just going to plink, why spend all that money, instead of buying a 22 pretty much loaded for say 399.00 and save money.

First of all, if you want a semi-auto rifle (semis are fun to shoot, especially if some of your shooting is on reactive targets, moving targets, etc.), WHERE can you buy a VERY accurate and COMFORTABLE (ergonomic) one for $400?
Name me a factory premium box-magazine fed .22 autoloader that feels like and performs like a heavily modified 10/22. I don't think there is one.

And, how a gun fits you, either in its physical dimensions or just its look, is very much a matter of personal taste. It's not just about practical accuracy. You have to include pride and satisfaction of ownership of something that you customized yourself. You chose the stock out of 50 different aftermarket stocks that were available in several materials, colors, and configurations (thin fore-end. Fat, flat fore-end. Pistol grip. THumbhole. Regular wood, laminated wood, plastic, carbon-fiber. Side-folding stock. Telescoping stock. Fixed stock with cheek riser.)

I have four (4) stocks for my Ruger 10/22. And two barrels. And two different magnifying scopes, plus two red dots and two kinds of iron sights (factory open sights and dual aperture peep sights). My Ruger can be configured as a training rifle for little kids, a CQB combat carbine (trainer, although one time I actually carried it as a defensive weapon), a benchrest target or varmint-eliminating rifle, a casual plinker and small-game still-hunting rifle, and a host for my .22 silencer.

Back
Top Bottom