• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Crimp Problem

SKSman

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
19   0
Reaction score
So I have started reloading and I'm having a problem crimping my rifle cartridges.

The Hornady dies come with only two dies. The bullet Seating die also crimps. To my knowledge you set the bullet then back out and lower the die to crimp.

I have been having a problem though. The instructions say to raise the ram with the cartridge and thread the die until it touches. Then back out the cartridge and turn die one rotation. Problem is I do only a half turn and the cartridge has crushed down and isn't usable. What am I doing wrong?

Picture shows unusable 30-06.

Thanks
Bob

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 54
You don't have to back out to crimp. A properly adjusted die will seat and crimp in one stroke.
Sniper 101, part 52 bullet seating and crimping
Looks like a pretty good u tube on this, didn't watch it all but looked like it was heading in the right direction.

Take the seated round to the top of the stroke and hand turn the die down on the round until snug, then lower the round a tad and tighten the die down 1/8 turn. Observe it for a crimp. Continue this until an effective crimp is achieved but don't go crazy.

The crimp should be just enough to prevent setback (semi-auto), some don't crimp rifle rounds (bolt guns). If the crimp is excessive it will distort the bullet and affect accuracy.

Just a tad, just enough is good. A full turn is excessive and I have "Never" turned the die a full turn down to crimp a rifle round.

Last edited:
Does your projectile have a crimp groove??
IF not then neck tension is what should hold the projectile in place, or as mentioned pick up a Lee factory crimp die, you can use it with either type projectile.

Good info already given , I too don't believe "one full turn" for adjustment. This is
just 'swag' and you must fine adjust .
Another factor that can adversely affect crimp is case length. If you have a wide variation in length it can be difficult to get consistent crimps.

Back
Top Bottom