• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Critique my 1st loads please

You skipped the whole chapter on understanding pressure. The more you seat the bullet, the more pressure you add without adding powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True IF you are talking about using the same projectile!
projectile weight, point style, material the projectile is made from all determines if shortening a round increases pressure.
what does increase pressure is reducing the case capacity, but If using a lighter say all copper round then using the same OAL will increase pressure because the projectile sits in the case deeper, (by a lot usually) even though it is a lighter weight.
same with if using a SWC and switch to a regular point projectile the pressure will drop a good bit as more of the projectile is outside the case and case capacity goes up.
this is what one needs to be concerned with is actual case capacity once the projectile is seated, and get away from only looking at projectile weight as to OAL.

Lastly...you need to shoot some before u make 100. I don't like 1.100. It's a bit short

May not be. My cast boolits that I powdercoat, I have to seat a bit shorter than normal so they don't hit the rifling too soon. Since cast tend to be .001 fatter, it can make a difference and then I add on the PC which adds to the nose.

Rosewood

You skipped the whole chapter on understanding pressure. The more you seat the bullet, the more pressure you add without adding powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seating too long can cause increase in pressure to. If you seat it so it is into the rifling, the pressure goes up. I have had bullets seated longer show pressure signs as well as higher velocity on chronograph. If that bullet doesn't get a running start, it takes more pressure to start it down the barrel if it is already in the rifling.

Rosewood

Starting at the minimum load and working up is the entire key. Look for pressure signs, flattened primer, difficult extraction, excessive recoil as you go and stop if anything looks out of the norm.

One thing I always do, be sure to wear your safety glasses, especially on testing of a new load.

Rosewood

My own thing is on a new load, I do the thumb test (well sort of) The thumb test is that if you can push the bullet in the case, then you don't have enough mouth tension to resist bullet set back during normal pistol operation. A taper crimp normally provides enough.

After loading, I pull the barrel from my pistol and check every round in it. You can tell when one doesn't drop in freely, and any bulges will become apparent.

Always do QC during and after a loading session

One point everyone kind of missed is you're using cast bullets, I don't know how much of a chimp is needed as opposed to plated bullets.

One point everyone kind of missed is you're using cast bullets, I don't know how much of a chimp is needed as opposed to plated bullets.

depends!
lots of factors, like the hardness of the lead alloy, if the projectile has a crimp groove or not the neck tension of the brass on the projectile before crimping.
what generally you want to do is provide enough taper crimp (on the 9 MM) to assure good neck tension and to not deform the projectile.
every case pretty much will differ as to components and weapon.
projectiles vary in diameter and do cases inside dimensions at the neck, the actual dies used can also vary.

Back
Top Bottom