• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Critique my 1st loads please

I would shoot them and see what you got. Looking at the hodgdon web 1.100 col should work over 4.5 grns of w231 for 115 Lrn. I shoot 125 lrn over be-86 with 1.120 col. Shoot one pick up your spent case and look at the primer and case. Your reloading manual tells you about pressure pay attention to it. Shoot the rest and adjust col, 1.120 works for me. You do not need max loads for target, if your pistol functions correctly, no Ftf, no fte, and your happy with bullet placement knock off a couple of hundred. Then enjoy the fruits of your time. When you get some extra cash get a congraph, keep lead under 1100fps.

I have read most of the replies and agree with most points.
First always use a taper crimp on a semi auto bullet. You don't need a lot but the cases differ a little so try to adjust to a medium crimp and that will prevent form having too much on some and not enough on others. Lee Factory Crimp is the way to go. Also, seat and crimp in two stages. Don't try to do both in the same stage.
As for seating, 1.100 is a little short for two reasons. First W231 is a fast burning powder and will build pressure quickly. Second you are using a cast bullet which is most likely .356 in Dia. This creates more resistance and also builds pressure. A combination of those plus the short seating will most likely shorten the case life and cause split or ruptured cases. IMO seat them between 1.120 and 1.125 OAL.
You can use your barrel as a case gauge. Take it out of the gun and drop your bullets in the chamber. If they fall in and out freely then you are good. If they have to be pushed in or pried out the crimp is not heavy enough.

FYI this is just my opinion.

Lastly the charge looks OK as I use W231 and 4.5 grains behind a 115 projectile has worked fine for me in the past.

Back
Top Bottom