• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cross Bows, who has, and can recommend?

erkinator

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
Smiling Handyman
120   0
Reaction score
I am ready to get back into archery. Saw a mini cross bow and with my bad shoulders I thought it would be the best way to go. Looking for model recommendations.

specs looking for, 400 FPS, $3 to 400.00 range, reliable,compact. Was looking at the Killer Instinct 405

thanks for any input

Barnett makes great crossbows for that price range. That’s probably the only brand I’d trust in the 3-400 ballpark. I think there is Barnett Jackal on here somewhere for like $100 if it hasn’t already sold.

I've been shooting now for about 8 years. I just purchased a Killer Instinct 415 to replace my Barnett. Shoots great, well built, no complaints so far. Thought I was going to fall down the rabbit hole of buying more, and more expensive bows. Never really saw the need. At 40 yards I regularly can get 3 arrows to touch each other. I get a little shaky past that. Bows are heavy.

which model?
The new one I have now is the bulldog 400. I picked it up on Amazon clearanced out for like $850. It blows through deer. With that speed I'm more than confident in 50 yard shots. My last model was an old Exocet. I've probably taken around 60 deer with it. The best part about the Excal's is you can change the string yourself.

The new one I have now is the bulldog 400. I picked it up on Amazon clearanced out for like $850. It blows through deer. With that speed I'm more than confident in 50 yard shots. My last model was an old Exocet. I've probably taken around 60 deer with it. The best part about the Excal's is you can change the string yourself.
Man I miss my old.
Model Exocet….perfect Excalibur in every way.
Dropped it from trees at 30’ and shot a deer ten min later right on the money.
Ran it over with a truck in the dark accidentally and killed it.
Replaced it with a Exomax full size, another killer bow but a bit larger and heavier.
My new go to is a Excalibur 335 micro with upgraded limbs because the older ones had cracking issues from heat process in the camo coating.
It’s a great little bow and I’ve taken many deer with it already.
For shoulder injury l would not recommend as it’s very hard to pull the last three inches.
Excalibur does make some easier to pull micros but I’ve heard mixed reports of their lethality but I highly doubt you’d be shooting deer more than 25 yards in most Ga woods.
If you are then I’d look at a compound crossbow as they’re easier to cock in many cases but there’s a compromise when it comes to maintenance.
Excaliburs are built to last and take a beating with very little to no maintenance and string changes and sight in afterwards are easy.
Most of the time you don’t even have to touch the dials after replacing a string and you can do this in the field in a minute literally.
Dayam my spelling sometimes..lol.

Back
Top Bottom