• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Crown

Have done this on a Swedish Mauser I chopped off with a hacksaw and faced with a file, was accurate far beyond what I expected or deserved. With surplus ammo it would keep to close to one inch groups with irons, in the day when my eyes would function to that level.

Never needed to do this myself, but ... Heck, I read stories about someone doing this at the range ... firing/polishing/firing until they were totally pleased with the results! They used a large ball bearing with valve grinding compound to "polish" the hack-saw/flat file initial cut. ... I can't remember how they attached the ball-bearing to a battery operated drill though (?)

while the Manson and PTG hand held tools works pretty well IF, you know what you're doing. Truly the only way to do it right is on a lathe with a centered bore.. most all of the hand held tools will leave you with chatter marks while a solid lathe will not.

a brass screw and valve lapping compound might look ok but........

with all that said I know a very good Texas smith who once tested a nice Ruger by shooting it and then proceeding to totally mess up the crown with everything up to and including a chisel....he had very surprising results for a hunting rifle

Back
Top Bottom