• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Crysler minivan Electrical issues

Jeddak

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
142   0
Reaction score
My 2011 Chrysler minivan decided to start acting up. It has a push button start. Last few times it would start only after 2 or 3 attempts. Electrical trouble light comes on, red brackets with red lightning bolt inside of them, like this )Z(, and check engine light comes on as well. No codes stored.
Battery is a month old. Van seems to eat batteries, on its 3rd or 4th battery, counting the OEM.
Last time I had Advance Autoparts test the electrical system, they said alternator was OK, battery was failing, so I replaced it.
This morning remote starter tried and tried to crack it over, but van did not start. Did not have time to mess with it and took another car to work. Sounded like battery did not have enough juice? Do I have a short somewhere draining the battery?
Google does not turn up much. Replace the alternator anyways ( I can do it myself, but hate to give up the OEM part to go with a remanufactured)
Any advice would be appreciated. Van is paid for, and I was hoping to keep it for another 6-7 years. It is under 100K and the best vehicle for 3 young kids and 2 adults.

My T&C fails to start once in 50 times. I have to cycle the gear shift lever once and it fires right up. Oddly, the starter will engage for a half second, almost like there's not enough battery but nope, it's something with the gear shift.

but here is a trick for the not so mechanically inclined .
turn on lights, try to start car. if lights go dim the battety is dead.
if they stay bright problem is elsewhere

Pull a battery cable off. Hook a test light between cable and battery post. If the test lght illuminates, then you have a parasitic drain and that will absolutely eat batteries. Start pulling fuses until the light goes out.

Pull a battery cable off. Hook a test light between cable and battery post. If the test lght illuminates, then you have a parasitic drain and that will absolutely eat batteries. Start pulling fuses until the light goes out.
When you do this, you might use some alligator clips because it will be 20 or more minutes before the computer goes to sleep after the connection is made.

Negative or positive cable, or does it matter?

Back
Top Bottom