• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

curious about reloaders

Does he use a Dillon 550? Anecdotally, seems like the press that results in the most double charges.

Never heard this one I have two 550's and 650 dillon never had this problem of double charging with them. Maybe this guy is a IDIOT or just trying to impress some other Idiot with his "HOT"load

I reload as hobby but it also saves money in the long run. There is nothing like going to the range and shooting tiny groups with ammo you made, except that trophy animal you get to take with it.

do you guys that reload just do it for yourself , or fun , just to pass time by . Do you sell it ? If you sale it is it really any cheaper I don't think i would have the patience for it but don't know anyone who does it so i have no clue about it . If you just sat down and started whipping em' out how much could you get done in a few hours JUST CURIOUS

It's natural. Handloaders are a "curious" bunch! Aren't we guys and gals? Handloading is just like any other hobby, if you don't enjoy it, it will become work. Making work out of it takes the fun right out of anything for me. Asking questions is how you learn. Mr. algore hadn't gotten the net out to the masses when I started loading. There's so much info online today that wasn't easily shared like it is now. Beware though, there are idiots participating in this hobby too. Make sure you verify anything found on here. I was fortunate enough to have an older friend to help get me started in the right direction. He was an avid reader, and man did he have the books. He showed me the ropes, but he stressed the importance of understanding as much of the basic properties of loading as possible. That info is found in the books! My old friend's gone on to the happy hunting grounds, but he left me with several of his old manuals that I still sit and read. As stated earlier, if you like to shoot, there's nothing like watching ammo that you hand assembled perform. Five shot half inch groups, ragged holes with your favorite 45 at 10 or 15 steps, and oh yea, watching the legs drop right out from under that first whitetail taken with a hand rolled .270 Winchester round at 130 yds. (Yes Sir, I'll never forget that one.) Ain't nothing like it, for me.
Back when I was into archery, I rolled my own with them too. It's just part of the game for me. Handloading ain't for everyone, but for those of us that strive for those one hole groups, and hunting ammo that you have absolute confidence in, it's simply another step in the shooting sports.

i reload because i can.

There is a proud heritage associated with loading your own. Whether it be the stoenwall brigade dropping powder and shot down the muzzle, the cowboy of the west or inkdaddy and drtybykr loading their own pistol rounds, reloading is part of being a free man.

I reload because i can.
amen ! ;)

it's natural. Handloaders are a "curious" bunch! Aren't we guys and gals? Handloading is just like any other hobby, if you don't enjoy it, it will become work. Making work out of it takes the fun right out of anything for me. Asking questions is how you learn. Mr. Algore hadn't gotten the net out to the masses when i started loading. There's so much info online today that wasn't easily shared like it is now. Beware though, there are idiots participating in this hobby too. Make sure you verify anything found on here. I was fortunate enough to have an older friend to help get me started in the right direction. He was an avid reader, and man did he have the books. He showed me the ropes, but he stressed the importance of understanding as much of the basic properties of loading as possible. That info is found in the books! My old friend's gone on to the happy hunting grounds, but he left me with several of his old manuals that i still sit and read. As stated earlier, if you like to shoot, there's nothing like watching ammo that you hand assembled perform. Five shot half inch groups, ragged holes with your favorite 45 at 10 or 15 steps, and oh yea, watching the legs drop right out from under that first whitetail taken with a hand rolled .270 winchester round at 130 yds. (yes sir, i'll never forget that one.) ain't nothing like it, for me.
back when i was into archery, i rolled my own with them too. It's just part of the game for me. Handloading ain't for everyone, but for those of us that strive for those one hole groups, and hunting ammo that you have absolute confidence in, it's simply another step in the shooting sports.
this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I started out reloading to save some money, that was about 35 years ago when everything was cheaper. There is still some savings in rolling your own but not as much as there used to be. I now reload because I find it relaxing and just plain enjoyable. I find that I can shoot a lot more on the same amount of money and when I got into casting my own bullets, I got to shoot even more for the same money. I have a Dillon 550 and I have never had a double charge or a squib load from it. I don't know where the information about them having more double charges came from, but I absolutely don't believe that.

EDIT: I have never sold any of my reloads, I have given some away and I have reloaded for people who furnish me the ingredients needed for what they want!

Last edited:
1) It gives you something to do that is actually creative.
2) You get improved performance from a rifle once you find the load it likes.
3) I am not into shooting at 1000 yards. But covering 5 rounds at 200 yds with a quarter is good enough for me.
4) There is nothing inexpensive about shooting. Reloading just makes it more interesting.

reloading rounds to help find exactly what your rifle likes can be a very rewarding and just plain fun hobby. not to mention it can be much cheaper if you fire a hard to find or expensive cartridge.

1. I felt that not reloading was so wasteful (not reusing the brass)
2. I wanted to save money or shoot more often
3. I found the history of cartridge development interesting and enjoyed reading the manuals
4. It gave me an outlet for my OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). If you aren't organized and squared away already, you'll learn to be so reloading.
5. It gives me a good reason to go downstairs to the "man-cave" for hours and get some peace and quiet!

Back
Top Bottom