• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Custom Ear Plugs for Shooting and Hunting: audiologist; plugs themselves

GATimberdoodle

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
¿Quien es Mas Macho?
55   0
Reaction score
I have read everything on the forum available.

I will be needing to replace my Insta-mold filtered pair from E.A.R. Inc after years of satisfied use. While I am leaning towards their products again, I'm wondering if someone has relevant experiences, good or bad, on what they have done for custom plugs.

I use electronic muffs (Howard Leight) that work fine, but prefer plug-type protection when shotgunning. I add the muffs when at an indoor range.

Recommendations for an audiologist that will make a ear impression will be most welcome.

Thanks

If you go to any big sporting clays shoot, there is someone who can make them onsite, Make sure you get someone who injects the compound. Several big shoots in Georgia. Pricing is much better than from a stand alone audiologist.

For more $$, they can insert what is essentially a mini-hearing aid in reverse that acts as the sound filter. one or both ears, depending on the depth of your pocketbook.

Custom molded is the only way to go.

I got mine done at Sam's club. Walked by and noticed they have an audiologist there for exams and they had the custom plugs in the case. I went with the cheaper standard plugs and it was about 1 week turnaround from mold to picking up my plugs. They work great and I might consider the nicer ones with the filter at some point. It's been a little while but off the top of my head I remember it being under $50, maybe in the $30 range. Worth checking out if you are in the store though.

Prem ear is located in norcross. They travel to the clay target shoots and make on site. Love mine and forget they are in.

Use them mowing and blowing as well as shooting. 3 years later and still happy.
20181213_083714.jpg

Made my own. The putty all the ear places use is just polyvinyl siloxane (dental impression material).

Have your dentist put some in your ear when your there next time. $5 worth of material

Made my own. The putty all the ear places use is just polyvinyl siloxane (dental impression material).

Have your dentist put some in your ear when your there next time. $5 worth of material

With all due respect, the ones molded in with an injector provide much better protection than the ones put in with a putty knife.

I may be wrong, but I don't think dentists use an injector, if they do, then I apologize.

Back
Top Bottom