• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Custom firearms!

Someone tried to sail this one, that didn't work well.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 14
I never met him but I've heard lots of stories from guys that did. Seems like quite the character and a big influence on the sport. When these guys go, there are so few to step into their shoes. I bought a used flintlock from a young guy at the Indy 1500 and after about a year the lock wouldn't work properly. So, my next trip up I stop in Cross Plains and call Tip Curtis to ask him if I can drop it off for a repair. He says, "Come by my shop, I'm here all day." I go and he takes the rifle (and me) in the back workroom and proceeds to do about an hour's work on the rifle while explaining what he's doing and why, fashions a new plate from a blank using a file, installs that after inletting the stock a bit and then shows me around his storeroom and shop. Man, what a treat! He was so nice, I felt like I'd been visiting with an old friend. At the end of the 2 hour visit, he hands me a ticket for the work and parts. Grand total? $20. It makes me sad to think these guys won't be around someday.

That's pretty cool man, and you are right about these guys...Who will fill their shoes? It is great that they are irreplaceable and yet sad at the same time. I hope we will always have someone, somewhere who specializes in these various guns, but they will become fewer and farther between as the years roll by.

Why do firearm owners customize there guns then want to sale them!
Definition of customize!
modify (something) to suit a particular individual or task.
"the suit can be customized for every skydiving need"

I mean especially modifications such as stippling the grips, changing the gun from factory by cutting, shortening the frame for their intended use! Then put the gun up for sale! If you go to all the trouble of customising the firearm to your specific wants and needs why try to sale it?

If you're into customising guns, open a business, get a ffl 3 and cut, saw, manipulate the firearm to your heart's content!

Rant over! :deadhorse::deadhorse::tsk:
:boink:sell

Back
Top Bottom