• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CZ Scorpion EVO Questions for Owners

Moondog1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
183   0
Reaction score
Well, I have decided that I want one of these. I have a few questions though.

Is it true that the new ones come with 1/2x28 thread pitch?

What's the reliability like with cheap steel cased ammo?

Pretty easy to find mags?

In hindsight, would you rather have an AR platform pistol that takes glock mags or the Scorpion Evo? Those are the two pistols I've narrowed my search down to. From what I've seen it looks like the AR platform can eat your mags and be fairly finicky with different ammo?

Any overall problem with the Scorpion Evo that just really sucks?

Anyone have one they want to part with?

Thanks!

Well, I have decided that I want one of these. I have a few questions though.

Is it true that the new ones come with 1/2x28 thread pitch?

What's the reliability like with cheap steel cased ammo?

Pretty easy to find mags?

In hindsight, would you rather have an AR platform pistol that takes glock mags or the Scorpion Evo? Those are the two pistols I've narrowed my search down to. From what I've seen it looks like the AR platform can eat your mags and be fairly finicky with different ammo?

Any overall problem with the Scorpion Evo that just really sucks?

Anyone have one they want to part with?

Thanks!
Mine has eaten everything I've thrown at it, even aluminum.

Downside is that the mags are plastic and feel really flimsy. I think I may have cracked one of mine. :(

20170301_205158.jpg

And since every thing has a price, how much you looking to spend (PM me).

Mine eats everything. The mags don't seem to be an issue. I ordered 10 when I first got mine. The price is good on the mags(19.99 most places).
Have not had any issues. My favorite. The bolt ons seem to be out of stock a lot. I bought a lot of the add ons and they just make it better.

Attachments

• evo.png
    evo.png
    354 KB · Views: 26
If your choice is between a CZ scorpion and an AR that takes Glock mags, I'd go for the scorpion. Scorpion mags are cheaper than factory glock 33 mags, and I think mag compatibility is overrated. That being said, I wanted to love the scorpion, but I don't. I don't know how that safety selector ever made it out of R&D, because it digs into your index finger on every recoil. Which is a big problem, because it has considerable recoil relative to its caliber. This relates to its operating system (blow-back) which requires a bolt that weights about 3 pounds. This is also why people report less "gas in the face" while shooting suppressed. As far as I've seen, all ARs in 9mm are also blowback, so they likely have the same heavy bolt--it's just the law of physics for a blow-back system. With the recoil, it also makes it less-practical to shoot without a stock or a cheek-welded pistol brace :becky:, as follow up shots require more control.

While the Scorpion vs MPX debate continues on, the loyalty of their adherents demonstrates that both are excellent pistols. That being said, though they are more expensive, I think the Sig MPX is worth the extra boot. The operating system is a short-stroke piston on a locking bolt (so it doesn't weigh 3 pounds), and the result is a pistol with negligible recoil; the sights stay on target and follow up shots are a breeze. I have an SBRed MPX with the telescoping stock and it is quite comfortable since it doesn't move around or slap your cheek. I also haven't experienced any gas to face when shooting suppressed (and I shoot from the left shoulder!); I suspect this depends more on the suppressor and its volume (i.e. a smaller can like the Silencerco Omega 9). Fit and finish are better, magazines are more durable (steel-reinforced Lancers), more space for accessories on the handguard, I could go on... I heard a lot of "I could get two Scorpions for the price of one MPX!" when I was looking, and honestly, I'd take the one MPX. In fact, If anybody has an MPX and they want to trade into a CZ Scorpion, I'm all ears.

I've been an Evo owner since Feb. 2015 - I was a VERY early adopter. It's been a form 1 SBR since 07/2015

Is it true that the new ones come with 1/2x28 thread pitch? Yes. They are dual threaded 1/2-28 and 18x1. The euro thread still holds the handguard nut in place, so you can technically use either.

What's the reliability like with cheap steel cased ammo? Never shot steel case ammo through it.... though I have shot really cheap brass stuff. It's eaten everything I've thrown at it. With it being a blowback gun... there are some case types to avoid (alum).

Pretty easy to find mags? Very easy to find mags now. Wasn't always the case.

In hindsight, would you rather have an AR platform pistol that takes glock mags or the Scorpion Evo? Those are the two pistols I've narrowed my search down to. From what I've seen it looks like the AR platform can eat your mags and be fairly finicky with different ammo? Depends on what your plan is for the gun. If for defensive use, I'd go Scorpion all the way. It was designed as a 9mm gun from the ground up... where as it was a shoehorn fit to the AR platform. If you have any desire to suppress, the Scorpion excels... the AR will have you needing a face shield for at the gas to face.

Any overall problem with the Scorpion Evo that just really sucks? The ambi-safety is fairly uncomfortable. The trigger is pretty heavy. Both are easily resolved for under $40

Anyone have one they want to part with? Hell no. I'll never sell my Scorpion

I love my Evo. It now goes to the range with me every time.

The mags are cheap and evolving, now the option of steel lips are available with 32 Rds. Prepper gun shop has oem for 17.99.

The safety does suck out of the box, or can pretty easily be shaved or change to a huge amount of choices.

The trigger is hard, but can be halved for $8. HB Industries

I've done a ton to mine, and still have less than a stock MPX cost.

IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG

Once you fix the ergos and put a brace or stock on it, it is an awesome gun. If you have a lathe you can easily turn a piece of delrin to replace the knuckle digging safety. Also, the trigger is a million times better once you swap the springs, and replace the trigger with a more forward pull. I had a giftcard for Shapeways (3D printing) that I never used, so I reverse engineered the stock trigger and designed my own and had it printed in aluminum.

I actually like the feel of the stock grip. Well, I haven't felt any other grip on it, but I like it enough to not spend money to find out.

I personally didn't have a problem with the grip, but I did change out my safety selectors immediately. Yes, the new ones have the 1/2 x 28. It comes with a birdcage-like flash hider on it. I specifically bought mine to be suppressed, so just waiting on my form to come back. I've got Shockwave brace on mine and like it. I have read about a company coming out with a brace called the Tailhook that will be a telescopic pistol brace that threads into anything that accepts an AR buffer tube. So I'll probably switch to that once it comes out. I think it is from GearHead Works, who makes the safety selectors that I bought. Very fun gun though.

Back
Top Bottom