• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

D-Day - Something Ought To Be Said

Gixxer

Default rank <750 posts
Enthusiast
33   0
Reaction score
It almost puts a pit in my gut to imagine myself in the boots of those men riding in that landing craft,
or one of the Rangers climbing up a cliffside knowing they were in for fight once they got to the top,
or even being in a glider coasting into enemy territory with only the hope that the invasion is successful as a means to survive it.

These men were certainly made out of something else. But sadly, even still, some never got to go home, see their loved ones again, or even know if their efforts paid off.

Yet despite knowing that could be their outcome, they walked onto that landing craft, started climbing that cliff, and loaded into those gliders. Along with many other duties carried out by others that day, of course.

Regardless of how a person feels about that war, the US involvement in it, the outcome, or otherwise. The unbridled courage and determination of the men on this day 79 years ago deserves to be reflected on.

H6R7U3UCEMI6TF4IYUKWBGQPV4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

D-Day-landings-1.jpg

Posterity! you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it. John Adams

True in 1775, also true in 1944.

Fading to black in 2023.

About 40 D-Day vets walked the Utah beach yesterday and were honored by the French.
Paraded through Sainte-Mere-Eglise.

My grandfather was there. He enlisted at 17yo in the Army, and they didn't ask any questions.
He came home to my grandmother with 2 purple hearts, and a bronze star......

Yes, I'm proud of that man, and sure wish I could tell him how much he meant to me when I was younger and didn't take the time to.

Back
Top Bottom