• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

D-Day - Something Ought To Be Said

Not trying to hijack anything but thought it might be of interest. Here's one of my grandfather's pics which looks like it was was taken from a ship or landing craft.. The back says "Landing Operation Dragoon." He reported that one was pretty smooth adding the landing at Anzio was the worst.

Attachments

• 20230606_170711~2.jpg
    20230606_170711~2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 13
I suggest everyone read the WWII books by Stephen Ambrose, especially “D-Day”. He goes into great detail on the preparation, landing, and assault on the Nazi fortifications. There is even a section on the Higgins Boat, which was critical to actual landing of our brave men.
I’ve read all of the Stephen Ambrose books and throughly enjoyed them. They give you a view of real history.

Every year I read more and more about this war and its heroes and horrors. Every year I learn something new. Each time it was how much the bravery and heroics of this generation stood out. I’m not sure if it was honor, survival or both. I’m sure it was both to most of them.
There is a reason they are called the Greatest Generation.
I can’t say enough thanks about them or the hell they put up with for the survival of our country.

Ive watched a lot of interviews of the men who were there and there is always the same response. It was their job to go and they take 0 credit plus they always 100% give credit and thanks to the ones on the right or left of them that didnt make it back. Its truly incredible to hear their stories.

Back
Top Bottom