• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dad's old gun

Buddha7486

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
15   0
Reaction score
My dad passed away in 2010, but before he did he was in the VA in Augusta. His time there was short, but while he was there, some low life broke into his house and stole all the copper wiring out of the walls. Amongst the rubble seen in the foyer, was his gun cabinet face down on the floor. It came as no surprise that it was empty. Fast forward 11 years later, his best friend called me out of the blue last Saturday. He said he wanted me to come to his house and that it would be worth my time. I go and he brings out a rifle case. Inside that case was a 1953 Winchester Model 74. He goes on to tell me a story about where it came from. Said my dad, in his younger years, was at a sale barn in Greensboro, GA and they had this rifle sitting on the table, my dad looked at it several times and my grandpa said, "if you want it, I'll buy it for ya." Well over the years it stayed in his truck behind the seat. Before he passed, he left it at his brother's house. My cousin ended up with it after my uncle passed. My cousin in turn gave it to my dad's best friend to remember him by. He felt that it needed to come home to me, that I should be the rightful owner of it. I will try to post some pictures of it later. It is in pretty good condition for its age and to be used as much as it was. Anybody on here have any dealings with this model? It shoots really good and is very accurate.

Sorry about your loss and the break in. Great story. Yourn grandad and dad and uncle and your dad's best friend and, now back to you. That Winchester is priceless. Keep it under your pillows.

*** Your story is well written and easy to follow. Georgia Outdoor News and/or American Rifleman would surely be interested in such. ***

This is a good story and you told it well.

Hunted with Dad's Model 74 for years. Replaced only two things so far in nearly 70 years: firing pin and magazine lifter spring. I'd have replaced the firing pin spring too if I could found one.

It remains an accurate rifle when I do my part. Enjoy punching holes in paper or squirrels with this old timer!

Back
Top Bottom