• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dale Murphy a HOF'er

No, he was a Mormon and a good family guy. Didn't spend enough time "clubbing" to make the HOF.

<<sarcasm key off>>

He was a good, everyday player, but not great. Chipper was better.
I would say as a hitter Chipper had the advantage of having players like Fred McGriff, Andrea Galarraga, Brian Jordan, and Andrew Jones hitting behind him that Dale didn't have. Chipper got to see better pitches.

I would say as a hitter Chipper had the advantage of having players like Fred McGriff, Andrea Galarraga, Brian Jordan, and Andrew Jones hitting behind him that Dale didn't have. Chipper got to see better pitches.

Murphy had some decent hitters around him, but no, his lineup doesn't match the Braves of the 90's.

I still can't believe McGriff isn't in the hall. He hit 493 home runs. .284 lifetime BA, 2490 hits, 1550 RBI's, 5 time all star, 7 time MVP candidate. A solid 1st baseman as well. Pretty good numbers. When you look at some of the guys in the hall, it is a disgrace that McGriff isn't in the hall. 493 home runs is enough on its own, IMO. When you factor his lifetime average, hits total, and RBI's, he belongs. He also won rings in Toronto and Atlanta. He was a key player on more than one championship team.

His younger son m, Travis IIRC, attended my elementary school.
Off-Season or not he’d come by and have lunch with his kid.
Back BEFORE, athletes were “larger” than life.
Plus he was so gangsta, a true OG, since he batted with out batting gloves.

I love the Murph, wish he would have made the Hall. Great guy, still a great Brave today. Probably one of the best, if not, “the best “ baseball player who is not in the Hall of Fame.
Shoeless Joe was better. Pete Rose was better. Heck, Fred McGriff may have been better at his position. Roger Maris isn’t in, an was probably the ‘Murph’ of his time. Edgar Martinez was better. Jack Morris was better.

Dale was very very very very very very good. He wasn’t great. Greatness is what should get you into the Hall.

By his numbers, no. I'm a lifelong baseball fan. Saw Murphy play. Big fan of his. Chipper was way better. Easily on of the top 10 (I would argue top 5) third baseman in history. Ring, MVP, should have gotten at least one of the Gold Gloves that went to David Wright of the Mets. One of those years, Chippers defensive stats were way better than Wright's. And I agree, McGriff is probably the most deserving former Brave not in the Hall.

Now, compared to lot of the player's today Murphy's CHARACTER makes him a Hall of Farmer compared to them. Heck, compared to most athletes today, that's true.

I've always thought Murphy should be Commissioner of baseball, but I'm sure he never politicked enough for that to ever happen.

Back
Top Bottom