• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Damascus blade and rust

762justice

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
79   3
Reaction score
So i have a nice Damascus chef knife i got for X-mas and my fiance washed it in the dishwasher after using... needless to say it's rusty now. To me it doesn't look too bad, just surface rust but i know Damascus is different metals at varying heights so i don't want to just rub it until its gone and ruin the finish. Or is it too late anyways/am i screwed?
thanks in advance.

20180827_181551.jpg

20180827_181556.jpg

20180827_181607.jpg

20180827_181612.jpg

Flitz is great for carbon knives, but with Damascus is acid etched.
you need to be very careful with polishing it.. I make Damascus Chef knives. If I run into this. To start you can even try rubbing with mineral oil and a paper towel on the rust spots. If that does not work. I use a padded 3000 grit sheet . I usually use wd40 but you can even use a water, LIGHTLY sand from handle to tip. it takes time but that does not look too bad. it should come off pretty easily. The Zwilling Kramer is a great knife. Just require a little routine maintenance. when you do get all the rust off, run some olive oil on it and let it set for a little while.then wipe off. Let me know if you need any help.

This might sound like a dumb question but I don't know much about these. The marbling look isn't from the medal being folded its from an etch?

This might sound like a dumb question but I don't know much about these. The marbling look isn't from the medal being folded its from an etch?
As I understand it when the metal is in the forge the exterior is exposed to and absorbs carbon on its outer surface, as it is folded this creats stratification of layers of high and lower carbon steel. When these are ground flat then exposed to acid, the acid etches the high carbon steel differently than the low carbon, leaving the pattern

Back
Top Bottom