• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

danger of rechambering same round

What are my options?
www.gunvault.com_media_catalog_product_cache_1_image_9df78eab32b04bd1846d480e3ed9ff8f4cc99e1b1.png

Well....this has shed light to my edc. I didn't think about the bullet seating farther and/or building unsafe pressure.

I chamber and unchamber my G19 every time I leave the house...I have small children and I don't carry inside my house and I don't like leaving a chambered weapon unattended outside of my safe...

So needless to say...I have chambered this same round countless times in the last 6 months....when I started carrying a G19 again.

I noticed the bullet had tarnished from me touching it several times a day....but I never noticed the placement of the bullet was deeper.

dac58ab467a5fa08ee7f4891f04eed86.jpg

I don't know what my plan will be from here on out....I can't put the round out of service every time I enter the house and unchamber...I cannot afford that much ammo. Lol

I don't want to leave it chambered all the time either....even out of sight hidden. I don't keep my HD shotguns chambered either. I just don't want to be the next 'child finds gun and accidentally shoots self/sibling.' (Yes I speak to my kids about safety constantly...they know about my guns and know never to touch the trigger unless we are aiming at a target....etc)

What are my options?

Switch em out once a week and after 25 weeks, give the box away to someone you dont like.

Per the Buffalo bore article posted, my position on rechambering my P229 .357Sig hasn't changed. The round/gun were designed to work together and not experience setback. While I do inspect the rounds, and often rotate what's in the mag, it's rare that I rechamber anyway as the guns are almost always loaded or the ammo fired at the range to ensure function and a new stack of PD rounds loaded when I'm done.

Perhaps I cannot say the same about my other carry gun (P938), but I do tend to not only inspect the rounds, but rotate them as well.

If you have a Glock in .357Sig, not only are you more susceptible to setback, it's my understanding their .357Sig chambers are unsupported and more prone to KB. Flame suit on.

The issue with AR's is related more, IMHO, to firing pin strikes on the same primer/round than bullet setback. I try never to rechamber the same round, and always have the weapon muzzle up and downrange when chambering any round to lessen the firing pin strike force. Don't know if it really matters, but it's something I was taught in the Army and I've always done.

Well....this has shed light to my edc. I didn't think about the bullet seating farther and/or building unsafe pressure.

I chamber and unchamber my G19 every time I leave the house...I have small children and I don't carry inside my house and I don't like leaving a chambered weapon unattended outside of my safe...

So needless to say...I have chambered this same round countless times in the last 6 months....when I started carrying a G19 again.

I noticed the bullet had tarnished from me touching it several times a day....but I never noticed the placement of the bullet was deeper.

dac58ab467a5fa08ee7f4891f04eed86.jpg

I don't know what my plan will be from here on out....I can't put the round out of service every time I enter the house and unchamber...I cannot afford that much ammo. Lol

I don't want to leave it chambered all the time either....even out of sight hidden. I don't keep my HD shotguns chambered either. I just don't want to be the next 'child finds gun and accidentally shoots self/sibling.' (Yes I speak to my kids about safety constantly...they know about my guns and know never to touch the trigger unless we are aiming at a target....etc)

What are my options?
I would just keep rotating the rounds in your mag and keep a check on your carry ammo. That's the best answer I can give. That's what I do and it's worked pretty well so far.

Switch em out once a week and after 25 weeks, give the box away to someone you dont like.
Hahahahahahaha!
I would just keep rotating the rounds in your mag and keep a check on your carry ammo. That's the best answer I can give. That's what I do and it's worked pretty well so far.
Good advice....thanks

What are my options?
www.gunvault.com_media_catalog_product_cache_1_image_9df78eab32b04bd1846d480e3ed9ff8f4cc99e1b1.png
This is probably what I need to go with...these are pretty easy to open quickly I believe. Just gotta find a spot to mount it out of sight but convenient for me to grab and go when I leave...

Sheesh....this problem doesn't exist with revolvers.....:tsk:

Considering how extremely common the practice is, I'm shocked we wouldn't hear of more incidences of problems.

Considering how cheap people are about burning a .60 bullet, I'm not. I know plenty of folks that I don't think have ever fired a hollow point.

This is probably what I need to go with...these are pretty easy to open quickly I believe. Just gotta find a spot to mount it out of sight but convenient for me to grab and go when I leave...

Sheesh....this problem doesn't exist with revolvers.....:tsk:

There's the reverse problem with semi auto revolvers.

Look for SD ammo with a crimp beneath the bullet, it's designed to prevent setback. I'd still check it but it might give you an extra preventative measure.

Back
Top Bottom