• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

danger of rechambering same round

First I am a bit shocked that someone would need to post (make notice of this to the team securing Los Alamos).
I feel a lot more secure knowing the ability and knowledge of those protecting such sites.
this is what I thought was a well known thing? Guess not!
First personally I don't clear my carry gun very often, second if I do I set aside the round that's ejected from the chamber and upon reloading the mag it goes down in the mag after a good visual inspection.
some weapons will show ammo setback in 1 or 2 chamberings, some seem to never do it, depends on the ammo and the gun but one should be aware of the occurrence possibility.

IMG_1331.JPG

Just found these in my range ammo. These are some I've rotated out of my carry mags. When I first glanced at them I was a little freaked out looking at how much farther the two on the right are seated compared to the others. Then I remembered that at one point I mistakenly bought a box of critical defense instead of critical duty. I guess that's the difference in the two?

View attachment 1104482
Just found these in my range ammo. These are some I've rotated out of my carry mags. When I first glanced at them I was a little freaked out looking at how much farther the two on the right are seated compared to the others. Then I remembered that at one point I mistakenly bought a box of critical defense instead of critical duty. I guess that's the difference in the two?
I've noticed this too, my 115gr critical defense 9mm is noticeably shorter than the 135gr critical duty 9mm.

Slamming home the same fully loaded magazine repeatedly (on a seated/closed slide) will have the same effect BTW. More so with JHP ammunition.

This was something I learned a few years ago at a MAG-40 class. Since then I rotate and mix up all the rounds of SD ammo in a magazine when I clear and reload a gun, rather than just take the top round and constantly load/unload that. Kind of evens the wear across all of them, since it takes a few times being chambered to get any noticeable setback.

Even so, I shoot whatever carry ammo is in the mag every 3 months or so, as much to stay familiar with it's feel and point of impact as to get rid of any setback or dented (another potential issue) rounds.

View attachment 1104482

They're not seated to different depths, the Critical duty 135gr is a longer bullet.

The Critical Duty also has an H on the tip, and red seal on the primer. http://www.hornady.com/support/critical-duty-and-critical-defense

Back
Top Bottom