• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dave Ramsey

Davish Respsones:
Mortgage without credit can be achieved through manual underwriting.
No opinion on the insurance premium vs. credit score, I've never heard of such but could see it.
The entire premise of Dave Ramsey is to get a way from payments and pay cash for everything, when you take a loan, whether 0% interest or not, you're still making payments. You would still be buying a depreciating asset, that you're making payments on whether it's interest free or not.

You may be making payments but, you're using their money. You have the benefit of investing your money (earning) while making payments at 0% interest, rather than paying the entire amount up front. Therefore giving up the earnings opportunity on that money. Any time that you can earn a higher return on your money over the interest rate being charged for something, it's to your benefit to do so.

For instance, mortage rates are at 3% right now. Investment earnings are anywhere between 6 - 25% depending on your risk tolerance. You're better off making payments @ 3% interest while earning higher returns on your money.

If you remember the big housing crisis when many, many people were defaulting on their mortages, the biggest single cause of this was that people bought more house than they could afford. They all blamed the banks. When you go in to apply for a mortgage, the banker looks at your financials and says "you can afford a mortgage of $350,000."

Now that may be true ASSUMING nothing changes in your life financially. During that time in history, the housing market was booming, people got greedy and figured they'd jump in and flip the house for a big profit. So, they took out a $350,000 mortgage and bought the biggest house they could. The economy took a turn, maybe husband or wife lost their job and boom, they could no longer afford the mortgage. They lost the house and blamed the banker. The banks do not want to put mortgages on their books that will default. When they say, " you can afford up to $350,000", you need to be realistic. A safer mortgage level may be $200,000 or less leaving you with a monthly cushion should you lose your job, get sick, whatever.

Too many "fake it till you make it" people living in houses they could "afford" but not really.

A builder of high end homes friend of mine told me many stories of going back several months after a house closing to take care of punch list items. The houses had the very basics of furniture, several rooms actually with no furniture, because the people mortgaged themselves to the hilt and couldn't afford to furnish the house they bought.

You may be making payments but, you're using their money. You have the benefit of investing your money (earning) while making payments at 0% interest, rather than paying the entire amount up front. Therefore giving up the earnings opportunity on that money. Any time that you can earn a higher return on your money over the interest rate being charged for something, it's to your benefit to do so.

For instance, mortage rates are at 3% right now. Investment earnings are anywhere between 6 - 25% depending on your risk tolerance. You're better off making payments @ 3% interest while earning higher returns on your money.
This 1000%. That's what I've been trying to say in this thread, you just said it much better and clearer :lol:

And don't mind the "Joanzez" lol they up to their neck in mortgage. You can still find good houses in great neighborhoods that need a little work along the way , but will have crazy return. Example= Figure out how much you can afford , buy a house for half of that. To many folks want to buy "what they can afford" and the real estate folks are gonna want you to haha . Our first house was about 1/4 of what we could afford and in an decent neighborhood . Bought for $50k and sold for $75k 3 years later. Most folks won't even consider looking at "cheaper" houses. Inspect or get inspection. Lord willing we'll sell the house we're in in a few years for 3x what we paid for it . None of this will work in the bigCity imo but what do i know?

Lots of good, informative posts in this thread. Am I really on the ODT?
3p3li6.jpg

And don't mind the "Joanzez" lol they up to their neck in mortgage. You can still find good houses in great neighborhoods that need a little work along the way , but will have crazy return. Example= Figure out how much you can afford , buy a house for half of that. To many folks want to buy "what they can afford" and the real estate folks are gonna want you to haha . Our first house was about 1/4 of what we could afford and in an decent neighborhood . Bought for $50k and sold for $75k 3 years later. Most folks won't even consider looking at "cheaper" houses. Inspect or get inspection. Lord willing we'll sell the house we're in in a few years for 3x what we paid for it . None of this will work in the bigCity imo but what do i know?

Yep I agree and if it is your primary residence for at least 2 years while you are working on fixing one up for resale, no capital gains.

You guys are great gonna read all the post at lunch. I’m 22 years old and starting NOW. Listened to a few podcast and got a ROTH IRA started. I’ve only been working full time 3 months. Graduated college in May debt free (thanks athletics) I do have a CC but currently staying with my mom so saving right now eventually want to get my own space mom not really pushing me out or anything but of course I slide her cash because that’s just how I am.

I know nothing about the Dave Ramsey method/methods. The only debt I have is a mortgage that is maybe 10% paid off. I contribute to a matching 401k and have another Trad IRA I contribute to regularly. We pay 10% extra on our mortgage every month. (30 year)

Is there anything moreI can learn from Dave Ramsey? I get the impression he is for folks swamped in debt. (Student, CC, car loan, etc)

Back
Top Bottom