• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dave Ramsey

It's really simple if you think about it? For me anyhow (Not a renter). If you're "middle class" you can have a house that's the envy of "some" with a big payment and have no extra money for doing things you would enjoy doing Or you can have a house that's functional/acceptable and enjoy your life at any and all ages Not just when/if you make it to dang near retirement age . If living minimally turns you on? Knock yourself out . Most of the folks i went to school with that bought a Big&Beautiful house have long lost it . My views are not for everybody cause to be honest I'm happy for folks that have those big&beautiful houses if they are happy about it But the ones that are all show....I just don't care what they have
Totally agree. Who you trying to impress????? Live within your means and you'll live a good life.

When I first started making any real money in the 90's I was divorced, in debt up to my eyeballs and couldn't see the shore. I started listening to a sage (Bruce Williams Radio Show) while living in Cincinnati and following his advice. I live debt free, drive old cars, live in the Macongo region of Georgia (for now, relocating soon) and am not freaking out about retirement looming in 10 years. My favorite advice to young people is "pay yourself first" and learn to "do without.' Delayed gratification will earn big rewards later, mainly peace of mind. I was lucky enough to have a heart attack at 40 and survive. Refocused my priorities in life.

When I first started making any real money in the 90's I was divorced, in debt up to my eyeballs and couldn't see the shore. I started listening to a sage (Bruce Williams Radio Show) while living in Cincinnati and following his advice. I live debt free, drive old cars, live in the Macongo region of Georgia (for now, relocating soon) and am not freaking out about retirement looming in 10 years. My favorite advice to young people is "pay yourself first" and learn to "do without.' Delayed gratification will earn big rewards later, mainly peace of mind. I was lucky enough to have a heart attack at 40 and survive. Refocused my priorities in life.
Living in Macango is a great way to save money. Cheap house and cheap mortgage. No way I'd rent here though. I used to rent in Rivoli Run back in the mid 2000's when it was still considered a nice/safe area and it was about $800 for a 3 bedroom that I split with roommates. I just looked them up and a 3 bedroom is over $1k. :lol: Not even a good area anymore. My mortgage is half that.

Havent read through all 8 pages yet but I discovered Dave Ramsey and started the steps myself in January.

You dont realize how bad you are with money until you really sit down and create a budget! I was paycheck to paycheck making good money for my age because i was spending blindly. Now im working through Step 2 with a plan. Definitely helps the financial confidence.

The Everydollar app is a great tool.

There are a few things in his program i may not entirely agree with but overall its a great plan. Cant wait to go to Nashville for my debt free scream one day

I know nothing about the Dave Ramsey method/methods. The only debt I have is a mortgage that is maybe 10% paid off. I contribute to a matching 401k and have another Trad IRA I contribute to regularly. We pay 10% extra on our mortgage every month. (30 year)

Is there anything moreI can learn from Dave Ramsey? I get the impression he is for folks swamped in debt. (Student, CC, car loan, etc)
He is also for those starting out who don't want to end up swamped in debt

It works and it will SUCK for a while. We did it (okay me more than the wife). Took about 4 years or so. Currently we own our home(s) out right and only debt is a couple of cars that we could pay off if we wanted to. Biggest thing is starting to look at where your money goes and not make any rash decisions on purchases. Getting a safety net will make much easier because things will come up, it's called life.

Back
Top Bottom