• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dawson Precision Sights? Good Bad and Ugly

I have Dawsons on every gun I own. Can't get a better set of sights IMO.

And if you can't get the POA/POI that you like with a stock offering... theyll make the proper height for you. Can't beat that.

Here's just two of my guns with Dawson's on them.

IMG_7821.JPG

I have Dawsons on every gun I own. Can't get a better set of sights IMO.

And if you can't get the POA/POI that you like with a stock offering... theyll make the proper height for you. Can't beat that.

Here's just two of my guns with Dawson's on them.

View attachment 1010807

Dumb question and not intended to be harsh/smartass/etc. Why move the rear sight in front of the MRDS and not just melt the optic into the slide in front of the sights?

Dumb question and not intended to be harsh/smartass/etc. Why move the rear sight in front of the MRDS and not just melt the optic into the slide in front of the sights?
I'm glad you asked. Several reasons.

1) With the Vortex Viper, they (for some reason) put locking screws on the windage/elevation screws at the rear of the body. Meaning you have to remove the optic to adjust.
2) Optics will deflect ejected brass occasionally. This helps to protect the optic.
3) This clears up the sight picture and keeps the rear sight from blocking the dot as it moves under recoil
4) Prevents you from using the glass as a ledge when doing any one-handed malf clearance. Protect the optic a bit.

Reason 2-4 would apply to any optic... #1 is specific to the Vortex Viper.

I'm glad you asked. Several reasons.

1) With the Vortex Viper, they (for some reason) put locking screws on the windage/elevation screws. Meaning you have to remove the optic to adjust.
2) Optics will deflect ejected brass occasionally. This helps to protect the optic.
3) This clears up the sight picture and keeps the rear sight from blocking the dot as it moves under recoil
4) Prevents you from using the glass as a ledge when doing any one-handed malf clearance. Protect the optic a bit.

Reason 2-4 would apply to any optic... #1 is specific to the Vortex Viper.

Knew there had to be good reasons as that certainly wasn't free milling. Protecting the optic was my thought. Nice work.

I will agree with the blacked out rear. There is nothing more distracting in pitch black, than 2 tritium dots glowing closer to your face than the one you're supposed to be focusing on. I have black rears on everything.

Personally, I like FO fronts just fine for defense... provided you're running a WML. The thinner fronts you find with FO are also very fast to aquire... whether you see the actual FO during daylight... of if you only see a black outline in darkness with your WML.

All the tritium fronts I've come across are way to chunky for my liking.

I have been a long time fan and customer of Dawson Precision sights and absolutely love them. All I have bought and use is the fiber optic sights. The latest ones I bought were to co-witness my rmr and they are perfect. You will be pleased with the sights and the staff.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161230_949e99abfca66009ba4a3beda68eec8e.jpg

I will agree with the blacked out rear. There is nothing more distracting in pitch black, than 2 tritium dots glowing closer to your face than the one you're supposed to be focusing on. I have black rears on everything.

Personally, I like FO fronts just fine for defense... provided you're running a WML. The thinner fronts you find with FO are also very fast to aquire... whether you see the actual FO during daylight... of if you only see a black outline in darkness with your WML.

All the tritium fronts I've come across are way to chunky for my liking.

My personal decision is based much less about my preference on the actual look of the FO vs Tritium and more upon the fact that the FO tend to be a bit more fragile and I like seeing my tritium bead glowing at night if I need to reach for my weapon.

My personal decision is based much less about my preference on the actual look of the FO vs Tritium and more upon the fact that the FO tend to be a bit more fragile and I like seeing my tritium bead glowing at night if I need to reach for my weapon.
Fragile or not... the FO front without the rod still works as a conventional iron sight :)

There's nothing wrong with tritium... just not my cup of tea. After doing some low-light classes and shooting a few low-light pistol matches, I found them to be more detrimental to my shooting than helpful. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom