daycare at a church?

• Legal to carry

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Illegal to carry

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Taco

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
What kind of "CC" are you talking about? A class or seminar related to concealed carry? And a lawyer was giving that part of the talk about weapons laws, and he or she said that you can assume Church carry is OK unless the church makes a policy against carry???

That's exactly OPPOSITE of what the law says.
Churches are presumed off limits unless the church opts-in for licensed persons to carry.
Read 16-11-127, paragraphs (b)(4), and (e)(2).

It depends on the policy of the church as to who may carry on their property. It has to be in writing somewhere...business minutes, etc. My church says to its people, just follow the law.

IF you are caught carrying at church, the pastor or appointed leadership CAN press charges. Those can result in a second class misdemeanor and up to $1500 in fines last I checked.
BUT, you are in GA and many pastors carry too.

My church allows GWL CC. The pastor, some deacons, and some prominent members routinely CC. I see several Sneaky Petes and one LEO open carries in plain clothes. The reason being I believe is that the church is right off of a busy 4-lane which could make it an easy target.

What kind of "CC" are you talking about? A class or seminar related to concealed carry? And a lawyer was giving that part of the talk about weapons laws, and he or she said that you can assume Church carry is OK unless the church makes a policy against carry???

That's exactly OPPOSITE of what the law says.
Churches are presumed off limits unless the church opts-in for licensed persons to carry.
Read 16-11-127, paragraphs (b)(4), and (e)(2).

Fur sure.

180 degrees wrong.

Back to the OP, the "schools" thing gives me real caution. Unless you are are qualified to ascertain the exact status of the program, you are probably better off not carrying. Some things you just don't want to be the test case for.

What you are calling "daycare" is at least licensed by the state, and could be some sort of certified pre-school program, subsidized by the state or federal government, which could kick it over to the "school" category.

As the comments to this thread show, this is not a subject on which you want to make a decision based on casual conversation.

It depends on the policy of the church as to who may carry on their property. It has to be in writing somewhere...business minutes, etc. My church says to its people, just follow the law.
Unless I am misunderstanding you, your comment is incorrect according to the wording of the law. The Pastor must approve of each individual who carries on church property.

Most churches will not advertise (especially in a bulletin) that they have people approved for carry. There are some in my church and it is discreet so as to not alarm those more sensitive to the presence of firearms. Our church had some strange occurrences and after Charleston, our Pastor said, "Not in our church."

Each individual? ? ?
No, that's not how I read the law.
If the Pastor has the authority to rule on this issue (rather than some other person or body of church members, Board of Directors, Elders, Deacons, etc.) then all the pastor has to do is give permission to GWL holders as a group.
No need to name each individual GWL holder who may take advantage of these new carry privileges.

A real gray area with church carry would be if the pastor (or other governing body) tried to authorize ONLY certain private citizens with GWL's to carry, but retaining the ban on everybody else. I don't know if that would work-- the end result could be that by giving one permission, everybody else is covered, even if that's not what the Church wanted.

Each individual? ? ?
No, that's not how I read the law.
If the Pastor has the authority to rule on this issue (rather than some other person or body of church members, Board of Directors, Elders, Deacons, etc.) then all the pastor has to do is give permission to GWL holders as a group.
No need to name each individual GWL holder who may take advantage of these new carry privileges.

A real gray area with church carry would be if the pastor (or other governing body) tried to authorize ONLY certain private citizens with GWL's to carry, but retaining the ban on everybody else. I don't know if that would work-- the end result could be that by giving one permission, everybody else is covered, even if that's not what the Church wanted.

Kinda off topic, LOL but it's in my own thread.... but it's still not legal to carry into the post office, correct?

No, not only because of the general federal law about weapons inside federal facilities (that law has a sign requirement and arguably only applies to the building, not the parking lot or drive-up mail-drop lane), BUT THERE'S ANOTHER LAW, a postal regulation published in the Federal Register and C.F.R. (which has the force of law) specifically as to postal property. And THAT one covers the entire parking lot and grounds, too.

The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals held, in the case of Bonidy v. U.S Post Office (2015), that the 2nd Amendment doesn't even apply to security sensitive areas, and that means the parking lots of the post office (and, implicity, the parking lots of any federal building too). That's the last and latest word we have from the courts on this issue.

No, not only because of the general federal law about weapons inside federal facilities (that law has a sign requirement and arguably only applies to the building, not the parking lot or drive-up mail-drop lane), BUT THERE'S ANOTHER LAW, a postal regulation published in the Federal Register and C.F.R. (which has the force of law) specifically as to postal property. And THAT one covers the entire parking lot and grounds, too.

The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals held, in the case of Bonidy v. U.S Post Office (2015), that the 2nd Amendment doesn't even apply to security sensitive areas, and that means the parking lots of the post office (and, implicity, the parking lots of any federal building too). That's the last and latest word we have from the courts on this issue.

Reading this just made me think of an interesting question.

We have a convenience store that is an official, by God and country, USPS sub-station. One corner of the store is the sub-station. They have the postal supplies on racks out in the store.

What is the rule on concealed carry there? Is the convenience store parking lot included?

Back
Top Bottom